El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sway bar was actually behind the seat when i bought my truck 6 months ago. I put it on and it seams like its wrong. I dont think its original. Its 1" thick, solid, and is contacting the frame-rails where it bends. It works, but seems wrong. Do i have it up-side-down? Someone i asked about it thinks its off a camaro maybe.... Any ideas?

Oh, yeah, I have a '65

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured as much. I almost installed it the right way the first time, and it seemed wrong, then i flipp'd it and finished it this way....it didnt seem it was going to fit the other way, although i think i need adjustable end-links to position it correctly, maybe?

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
"play around with it a little" ---- try it that way, try it upside down, both ways with shorter links. Looks like it should fit, but links look too long to me

:poke:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so i havent had any time to dink with my front sway bar yet. But i have a question for you all concerning the rear. I don't have one on the rear....yet. With the rear, i found a solid, stock fitment rear sway bar package (havent bought it yet)that comes with the inserts that need to be welded in to the trailing arms. Is having those installed a MUST?, or can you just use the existing holes, and cut some round-stock to fit tightly inside the trailing arms with the bolt running through them so they dont squeeze inward? I'm all for stiffening up my trailing arms, but i dont have a welder....i DO have a cutting wheel, and steel pipe of various sizes....Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
I trimmed some 1 in wide steel straps, and then bent a loop in each end for the bolts to go thru. Looked just like a homemade version of the stock spacers. Pieces of pipe cut to fit would work real well too. Go for it.

:beer:

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,625 Posts
The functions of the factory spacers are to spread the load to both walls of the control arm and to keep the control arm from collapsing when the bolts are torqued. Any properly- sized pieces of strong tubing will serve just fine.

Bill

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice! that rear bar is only $100 too. Thats definately do-able. When i got my Elco, the front bar (that i apparently installed up-side-down) was stashed behind the seat, and i was driving around for a month or so without it on. What a rolley-polley turd it was without it! With just that front on, it already corners very well, with just a bit of roll from the rear, so i am definately excited to get the rear leveled out. Do any of you have any information on maybe what vehicles i could look for at my local U-pull-it wrecking yard that would fit rear sway bars on my '65? I figure its a long shot, but you never know....

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
well, here's my thinking, strange as it may be.......

The aftermarket upper control arms that allow you to put a 10/12 bolt rear in a G body elkie say that 64-67 A body rears will work with them. So those are interchangeable. Your 65 Elkie is an A body also, soooo.... any 64-67 A body with a rear sway bar should fit your elkie. This includes cutlass/442 and all station wagons, and I know both of those had rear sway bars. it also includes all of the 66/67 chevelles, buicks, GTOs, etc.

Knowing all that should make it a lot easier to find a rear bar. Don't forget the station wagons!!

:poke:

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
I trimmed some 1 in wide steel straps, and then bent a loop in each end for the bolts to go thru. Looked just like a homemade version of the stock spacers. Pieces of pipe cut to fit would work real well too. Go for it.

found the pics I did of those spacers. (did so much/have so many pics it takes awhile sometimes, sorry). Check out the 1st four pics in this link! remember that they are captioned.

http://s1028.photobucket.com/albums/y342/goofuslives/rearend/

:nanawrench:

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
the broken ones are the stock factory ones for a 5th gen. Thanx for the compliment. Just a matter of lookin and thinkin before ya jump into something.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm thinking that they did something similar to yours from the factory back in 64-65 as well. I cant see them spending extra welding time on an option like that that barely any of the vehicles came with. I'm stuck in a catch-22 right now. I cant order anything online(that rear sway bar), because it will most likely show up when i'm at work, and either get sent back to the shipper, or stolen off my porch (they HAVE left things on the porch before). I think i need to ask my boss if they will let me ship it to our shop. But then, i'm out of there by 3:30, and if it shows up after that, i'm burnt as well. Man i want that rear sway bar. My '65 already corners very well with just the front bar, so well, that i out pace imports around corners and curves, but when i get that rear.....oooh doggy! I love showing up spikey hair'd asian kids in acuras and hondas in my 3000Lb, 47 year old "klunker" Cruck.

·
Registered
11,513 Posts
do you have a local friend/relative that's retired or a stay at home mom? ship it there. friend that works in an office? I have the same theft concerns, but work in small office, so not a problem. Had my welder shipped to work and it went directly from the FedEx truck to my trunk! LOL

:secret:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, no stay at home family/friends, unfortunately. I'll have to just have it shipped to work. But, meanwhile, on the front end... I just finished re-installing my front sway bar(the right way) with new MOOG end links. It fits great. The new end links are shorter than the ones that were already there, so they actually fit and move the bar down a bit, placing it correctly. The first time i tried to install this bar, the steering tie-rod ends hit the sway bar (well, one of the bolts on the tie-rod hit the sway bar at complete turn) and thats the main reason why i thought it should have been flipp'd and did it, but then it was in contact with the frame and i really didn't have the desire to flip it again....till now. Its a pain in the arse for sure to line up the bolt holes on the frame bushings. Anyway, here is the before and after pics....it's a bit obvious NOW, but wasn't soo obvious back when i did it originally.
BEFORE:

NOW:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.