Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cheapo Turbo type Muffler

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, What Kind of mufflers are you guys running? (Side questions, do the 80's elcaminos use 2 mufflers, or one muffler with dual outs?)

I've Got 2 1/2" Edelbrock RPMs with an X pipe on my 70 right now. I like the sound, but I don't know.. I used to have a straight "H" pipe and it sounded better...

Anyway, I'm interested to see what other folks have too!

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
I have a pair Flowmaster Delta Flow Series 50 Mufflers, with true 2 1/2 aluminum dual exhaust, with H-pipe. I like the sound of these at idle, but about 1500-2500 rpm, the interior resonance is intolerable. Flowmaster claims these as "Mild interior resonance" but I know better! I woundn't recommend these to anyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
on my 76 , I just got a pair of flowmaster 40 series delta flow with all new 2 1/2 inch pipe. i was getting a dual in dual out cat. converter, but it didnt fit because of ground clearance. so it ended up being 2 pipes going into a Y then into a single free flow cat. then a Y out into 2 pipes then to the mufflers. the 2 flowmasters are dumped with only a pipe several inches outa them. they sound pretty sweet but i get alot of interior bass sound pretty much all the time....
QUESTION: What does an H pipe do? flowmaster recommends them for their mufflers but i dont have an H pipe, i have 2 Y pipes tho...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUESTION: What does an H pipe do? flowmaster recommends them for their mufflers but i dont have an H pipe, i have 2 Y pipes tho...
Basically H & X Pipes are used to syncronize the exhaust pulses. I don't know the exact science of it- but it has to do with balancing out the exaust pulses comimg from both sides of the engine- :idea: They decrease backpreassure and add more HP & Torque. They also have the side effect of quieting down the exhaus some- Especially with an X pipe- The X pipe also changes the sound quite a bit... Its arguable which is better X vs H, however it is agreed that they both are a 15-20hp boost over non balanced pipes

So in summary- H & X Pipes add some HP & Torque
8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Flowmaster 40's

Guitarstar said:
I just got a pair of flowmaster 40 series delta flow with all new 2 1/2 inch pipe.
Guitarstar,

Your 40's will create a whole bunch of low end noise. An H or X pipe will help with the low end noise. 50 Series are better for noise control, but you may not have the room for them. I have a Flowmaster dual in/out Delta 50 on my '97 Silverado that curbs the low end noise pretty well. My '67 Elky just has dual 32" glass packs with 1.5" pipe. The stock 283 does not need big exhaust to run well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i have a flowmaster, but i don't know what its called. It goes 3'' from the connector, and then splits at the muffler into 2 1/2".

I like it cept my heat riser rattles sometimes, but that'll be fixed when i get some headers.

C

·
0 Posts
exhaust

i have a temp. exhaust single side exit with a turbo muffler. Doesn't sound to bad, has somewhat of an aggressive tone to it when idling at 600, not the loud roar i want. But as of now, thats good, later im getting dual out the back.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Running true duals on my '87, did have Flowmasters, originally. Too much in the cab, so I switched to a set of turbo IIs. Got about 50% of the Flowmaster sound, but it sounds good with the duals, no cats, and a decent cam in my 350/330 crate motor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I run a true dual exhaust. It consists of afterburner headers (Summit $135.00), 2.5 inch pipe to dual catalytic converters and dyno max turbo mufflers($450.00 exhaust shop). To get pipe clearance I used a MTS fabricated crossmember (online $195.00). It sounds great and on cold mornings it blows smoke rings!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've run several systems on my car, and ironically, I'm going back to what I started with. I've had duals all the way out to the back bumper with generic turbos, cherry bombs that ended at the rear axle, Dynomax muflers on 3" pipe ended at the rear axle, and glasspacks that kicked out at the rear tire. This time around I'm going with cut-outs behind the headers for the strip, then 2.5" duals and 2 chamber Flowmasters through mandrel-bent pipes to the bumper, to keep down the interior noise.

64SS427

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mufflers

Hi guys,

I have headers (Elcheapo Flow tech) and a true dual exhaust and mild cam
(nice lumpy idle) am currently running flowmaster 2 chamber 40 series I believe. the louder the better I say, Inside and out. Changed the tailpipes from all the way back just past the bumper to just behind the rear wheels.
I would have really liked it just in front of the rear wheels with zoomies but I think I would have a ground clearnace problem and I haven't seen zoomies or lake pipes in eons. Haven't looked on the web yet to see if anybody makes them anymore.

Brian

·
Registered
225 Posts
Brian- Check out either Rod & Custom or Street Rodder if you're serious about wanting lakes pipes. These are still available, just can't think of manufacturers currently. Sanderson should be able to whip up a set of zoomies for you, but they are pretty spendy.

Devin

·
Registered
30 Posts
what are zoomies and lake pipes... i figure i have to start asking these questions in order to learn more in a shorter period of time

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Anyone see last Saturdays episode of "Trucks" on the Speed channel? This guy is doing a restoration on a 67 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup with the new 572 cubic inch big block, Anyway he's installed this awesome exhaust system on this thing, talk about lakers, he's got a set of exhaust cutouts that are controlled by a small electric motor that operates a gate valve which diverts the exhaust to mufflers (Edelbrock) or to straight pipes. Flip the switch and wham that 572 becomes a Fire Breathing Drag-on!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Zoomies are like what a dragster would run, with the pipes basically coming straight out of the head, doing a curve toward the ground, then upswept towards the rear. Lakes pipes usually run the length between the front and rear tires, with the exhaust exiting near the rear tire. That's about the best description I can give.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok so the lake pipe exhaust exits before the rear tires... if so.... i want that when i gt my el camino.... my friends dad's chevelle has those it looks sweet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
well, that's not all there is to it, lakes pipes are run on the outside of the body, and usually have a small diameter, 1 1/2 inch or so, whereas side pipes go in the same place, but are usually 3-4 inch diameter.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts