El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have two motors and now tranny. I have an 85 with v6 and turbo 200(i think). i have a 305 and a 350. I am just wondering witch one will be easy to put in then the other. What tranny will bolt up to each of those with as little work as possible? Thanks

P.S.- this is not my racing camino so that is why i am looking for the easy route

·
Registered
481 Posts
Dpends on which engine was originally in the car. Personally i would go with the V8 and 350 tranny.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Any combo of what you have can be done, however you didn't say what was originally in it. This could make the swap a piece of cake or a bad dream, not a nightmare, but a bad dream. Do you know what motor and trans was originally in your car and then we'll go from there. Being that it's an 85(?) I'll bet it was a 200 and not the 350THD trans. As far as the motor goes, if you got some money, why not buy a boat...use the V6 for a stern anchor and the 305 for the bow anchor. Go with a 350 new or rebuilt, you'll be glad you did. You'll need the extra power to pull the boat and trailer anyway. :cool: Just kidding, what are your plans for this Elky? Daily driver, 250 MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats on a gallon of gas, or something in between?

·
Registered
481 Posts
If this is going to be your daily driver then i would just stick with the 6 for fuel economy sakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same setup in my 85

I have the same setup and an 85. Except for my posted problem with the engine mount on the passenger side i love the way the 4.3 handles -
I plan on putting a 91 4.3 --30 thou over and im porting and polishing the heads myself . I want the same size engine with a little kick.
The tranny i would rather see a tubo 350 in it the handle better and are more reliable i think just something to think about :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
easy swap from v 6 to v 8

all you will need is v8 motor mounts. remove the v6 also remove the motor mounts as these will not be used. then install your v8 mounts in bolt holes all the way forward on your k member. ( they will hang over a little and you can only get 3 bolts in. one bolt hole will stick out front of the k member but no problem. thats all the changes you will need . this will allow for everthing to bolt back in the orginal place. do it you want regret it

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If the 200 was in it when you got it look at the gear shift indicator. See if it was an overdrive like a 200R4. If it was, can the 350c and rebuild the 200R4 and use it instead. If you put in a 3.73:1 with a 200R4 you will be particularly pleased with the response at the red lights and at the gas stations. Even with the V6 it should act pretty darn good.

Overdrives are a better way to go always, unless you are hard core stuck at the track racer. Street machines and daily cruisers are better off with an overdrive, my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts