El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question on the 1983 Elkys theres a little black hook lookign thing facing down on the back of the seats at the base that have a spring attached to them they lift up but I cant see what their purpose is I am curious if you could tell me their use.....

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
It would be better to see them, if you could post a pic that would help. I'll take a guess and say that it could be the seat back release. Lift up and it unlocks the back of the seat for loading in cargo etc... Some cars that also causes the seat slider to release so that not only does the seat lean forward but it will also slide forward all the way.

But that is a guess because I am not exactly sure where your talking about.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Front seatback latch: "Vehicles with folding front seats have inertial seatback latches. The latches are designed to prevent forward movement of the front seatback ONLY during sudden slowing of the vehicle. Normally, when you want to get to the stowage compartment the seatback can be tilted forward without unlatching, but when the vehicle is 'nose down', such as on a very steep hill, the inertial latch may keep the seatback from being moved forward." Use the seatback latch at that time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I was sitting there looking at it I thought ah its the seat release, then check, no not that hmmm maybe a cargo tie down....but in the backseat?!?!?! nah that cant be. Ok all else fails go online and ask the experts... well narrows that down tonight I just drove my new girl around forhte first time ( extended period of time) I LOVE THAT THING this morning I got up and washed and waxed and then I don't know how many miles I spent bonding with my new gem my mom thinks I lost it.... please tell me this is normal? but on a serious note thanks I was stumped I couldn't find a function to operate it....I just came to the conclusion it was broke....

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
You didn't loose it! It happens to us all and hopefully it will not wear off, well for me. I also, on one foot mind you, got out yesterday and washed and waxed my 76. Man does it look fine. My neighbor is selling his Vette it is a Stingray model, I don't know the year. Anyway all the time I was washing and waxing, him and some of his friends were watching me and talking about my Elky.

I like that. The Vette is in good condition sounds pretty good. But it sat all lonesome in the driveway while they watched me. When I finished a couple of them came over and checked it out inside and out, no kidding asked me if I would consider trading him my truck and some money for his vette.

Yeah Right, lemme just go get my check book! NOT! "VettePete" Doesn't quite have the ring to it that "ElkyPete" does. Anyway he wanted to "Test Drive" it. That didn't happen either.

But she is waxed and looking all great and everything now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I hear ya, Vettepete Formally known as ElkyPete same ring, eh not really. but I mean you drive a vette woohooo shows you got money, drive an Elky shows you got taste :) I love the Stingrays they are nice but I doubt I will own one, too rich for my blood. But another thing one of my firneds that is a avid fan of the newer rice burners he goes You look like a mexican now, what is the dela with that? Chevy last time I check was American.... but if he wants to go by that standard does that make him look Japanese? I love my truck..... I was thinking El Camino is The Way so wouldnt My El Camino translate into MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY 8)

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Elco and the Vette were the only two seaters Chevy made but you sure don't have much cargo room in a Vette.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts