El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do some light restoration on suspension arms, brackets and the frame.
Just curious what people are using? I've been reading up on Por15 and then adding their topcoat and also looking at Eastwoods chassis black.

I know the best is probably getting it all powder coated but id like a process where i'm able to do it myself and get some lasting results.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
my understanding is that POR15 is primarily for stopping rust and converting what rust there is into a neutrally inert substance. I would think that if you have rust on you suspension arms and brackets, you would probably want to replace them instead

I'm pretty sure we have some ECC members who have used POR 15 and will jump in here shortly enough to advise on the direction to take.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its only surface rust , ill probably just wire brush/wheel them and take them to bare metal, primer and topcoat them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
For surface rust I've been a big fan of Rustoleum's Rust Reformer, though I'd love to try POR15 if I could find it locally. Eastwood has their rust encapsulator which I've heard great things about as well.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
Do be mindful of ventilation and respirator requirements for POR, polyurethane and similar products.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
My local automotive paint store can order POR products. It usually arrives within a few days.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
this thread has some interesting insights

here's 1...

"I have no specific knowledge of that product but do know, both from observation and from reading the MSDS'es, that most rust converters I've seen are a mixture of Phosphoric Acid and a polymer. The first converts rust to an iron phosphate, the second forms an impermeable coat to seal the phosphate coating in and prevent "unconversion" due to weathering of the already-fairly-stable phosphate. The important requirement is to convert all the rust; converting the top layer but leaving unchanged rust below will still allow more rusting below the remaining rust. "

"Visiting a local hardware store here in coastal Rhode Island talking to the owner he showed me a product called Rust No More™ Primer. Said local boat guys asked for it. "

"Por15 does not have to have rust to adhere. You have to etch the bare metal using a metal etch prep liquid. "

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I used Summit 2 part epoxy chassis paint maybe 5 yrs ago and could not be more pleased with results....Summit Racing SUM-UP500Q - Summit Racing® Chassis Shield Paints

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm about to do some light restoration on suspension arms, brackets and the frame.
Just curious what people are using? I've been reading up on Por15 and then adding their topcoat and also looking at Eastwoods chassis black.

I know the best is probably getting it all powder coated but id like a process where i'm able to do it myself and get some lasting results.

Thanks
In my restoration shop "Sibley Engineering" we used a product called "Chassis Saver" by Magnet Paint for frames, suspension items and all pieces we wanted matt black or silver. It is impervious to chemicals and rust. Check out their web site.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts

Thanks
I've been using Rustoleum "Hammered" look paint on just about everything on my Mustang project! Silver and black mostly. Used the silver on my ElCo's rocker covers and acc. drive bracets. This stuff is tough and looks great, plus almost impossible to get runs! The first pic shows the spindle in black hammered and the backing plate is the silver hammered, the second is my steering shaft in black hammered. Home Depot about $6 a can. I'm happy with it, Good luck!

Joe

WIN_20201220_16_04_10_Pro.jpg WIN_20210116_18_02_04_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
64 Posts
To follow along with my answer, the owner/chemist from SPI STRONGLY recommends NOT using any rust converter/encapsulator. Always problems down the road.

·
Registered
1987 SS El Camino
16 Posts
I've used both POR 15 and Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator on my projects. POR 15 works great but its messy and hard to clean up with regular solvents. Rust Encapsulator works on rusted and clean metals and is UV stable so it doesn't need a topcoat. But I normally topcoat it with their Chassis Black paint. Both work extremely well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies, these are exactly the things i was wanting to know, im definitley gonna give the Rustoleam Hammered paint a go and see how that looks on some things, at $6 a tin if it works then great, if not then its 6 bucks! Reading up on the Chassis Saver by Magnet that Gale posted up, that stuff seems great and has great reviews, price is a bit higher but if it does the job then great, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been using Rustoleum "Hammered" look paint on just about everything on my Mustang project! Silver and black mostly. Used the silver on my ElCo's rocker covers and acc. drive bracets. This stuff is tough and looks great, plus almost impossible to get runs! The first pic shows the spindle in black hammered and the backing plate is the silver hammered, the second is my steering shaft in black hammered. Home Depot about $6 a can. I'm happy with it, Good luck!

Joe

View attachment 136791 View attachment 136790
Did you use the brush on on Spray ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts