El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,314 Posts
I buy from them all the time !! A+ & 5 stars
If you order from them tell them you are a member & you should get a discount ! They are a supporting vendor !

·
Registered
742 Posts
The progressives from NAPA are nice and fairly priced.

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm running the heavy duty constant rate spring in the front and the heavy duty variable rate spring in the back. Got them both from Summit Racing. Very good prices on there name brand parts

·
Registered
91 Posts
how about EIBACH?

What rear coil springs do you recommend ?? variable or constant rate ??

i have a 78 elky

Wanted see what others had to say about EIBACH i was thinkin abt using it on my 86 305, its already sitting low naturally and i wanted to firm up the handling...

wanted see if anybody ever use eibach on the elkys? i've doen it on a vw jetta, and loved it... wsnt sure if it'd be a big difference with this muscle car compared the tiny hatchback

·
Registered
77 Posts
Alot of different factors involved to make a decision but if stock, I went with the variable rate in the rear for a real nice car ride for cruising and then firm them up when needed by air shocks. A rear sway bar flattens the turns. A neat trick is to have a seperate air valve fill for each shock in the rear, reduces roll too.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,081 Posts
What rear coil springs do you recommend ?? variable or constant rate ??

i have a 78 elky
As always much depends on your usage.

For a cruiser, one that has a comfortable ride and controls the car adequately, variable rate springs are the way to go. If on the other hand you will be pushing your car into corners, perhaps upgrading the suspension so it handles better then I think you want a constant rate spring.

The constant or linear rate spring is better for handling because, well, its linear. This makes for consistant reactions on turn in, and more predictable feedback in cornering and trail braking, variable rate springs because they start with a lower rate and build up to the max rate will generally allow more suspension travel before the spring can build rate.

Of course you can run the smoother feeling variable rate and put heavier swaybars on, the swaybars will control body roll and probably give you the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have the variable rate ones in my elco now and dont care for them. i am ordering new constant rate hd station wagon springs for the rear(malibu wagon)

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,314 Posts
New AC Delco G-body wagon springs from rockauto $107 shipped & Air lift 1000 bags

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
That is hard to say. Depends on the height of the springs and the weight of your car. The diameter of the springs is also important to be able to fit the mounting locations for your car. You might be able to call the vendor and get some of these answers.

Have you thought about coil over springs to give you some height adjust-ability?

Rick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well in the post above the guy talked about putting them on his car. I was wondering if he did and how they worked out? Or has anyone else done it? I hate to spend that kind of money on coil overs. They are very expensive.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Call: http://www.coilsprings.com/......they will discuss your vehicle, what use you plan for it, your engine, your desired stance and ride. They will make a stock spring or one custom made for your needs. I believe they are a family owned company. Super friendly and helpful and pretty quick service. I do not recall the pricing, but, as I said they will gladly quote you and I don't think the price point was much, if any, more than other suppliers.But, the end result is you get a spring exactly made for you and your vehicle.My Elky had coils on the rear from an unknown vehicle that someone cut with a torch and stuffed under it.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Call: http://www.coilsprings.com/ they will discuss your vehicle, what use you plan for it, your engine, your desired stance and ride. They will make a stock spring or one custom made for your needs. I believe they are a family owned company. Super friendly and helpful and pretty quick service. I do not recall the pricing, but, as I said they will gladly quote you and I don't think the price point was much, if any, more than other suppliers.But, the end result is you get a spring exactly made for you and your vehicle.My Elky had coils on the rear from an unknown vehicle that someone cut with a torch and stuffed under it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recommend RockAuto. Prices are good, finding parts is easy, and shipping is pretty fast and reasonably priced.

On my 84, i did wagon rear springs, air lift bags, KYB gas adjust and a Hellwig sway bar. Part numbers below:

MOOG 5391 springs
Hellwig 5815 sway bar
KG5548 shocks ( or it was the KG4513 I forget which are the front and rear)
Airlift 60733

I got the sway bar and the bags on Amazon because the price was better but I believe they have both on RockAuto as well.

I do suggest getting seats for the rear springs as well. I got MOOG K62032.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts