El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i charged up my ac last year and it all leaked out in a day and when they looked for it they said my compressor was bad.

since i have to buy a new compressor, what else do i need to do to swap it over? there was a new condesnor put on with the new radiator about 6 months ago.

ny the way this is a 86ss 4.3

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Replace dryer, replace all orings, replace orifice tube,the new A/C compressor may or maynot have oil added,you will need Pag oil ,when the system is open,you need to flush it out, i use brakklen you can use what you want,spray in the inlet and out of the evap,and blow it out,do the same thing with the condenser,when you reinstall all the houses use new orings,lube them withh a little Pag oil ,be sure to a one ounce of pag oil to your new dryer,you can do this before the install, pull vacuum for 30 min to a hour,when i open the system because of our humidity i do this for a hour,than close valves let it set for 15/30 minutes,mark your gages,Vac,side,if it moves you have a leak .. i may have left off something ,sure one of the members will fill in if i did Good Luck YOU can do it !!!
:texas::beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
If your doing it why not do it right the first time. I was going to stay with r-12 but I coverted and this is what I changed and you will need to change hoses anyway or it will leak.

Name: Robert
Year: 1987
Model: Conquista
Region: 18(CA)
NECOA #: 18458

Garage
HKDUP87's Garage HKDUP87

Complete a/c replacement got everything? 134a swap

Complete new a/c replacement 1987.
A/C HOSE ASSEMBLY,A/C ACCUMULATOR,COMPRESSOR,CONDENSOR,COMPLETE EVAPORATOR CORE,O-RING KIT,COMPRESSOR OIL.
Are these all the parts i need? i'm going to do the installation using the r12 type system again and have the shop do the leak testing and recharge with the maxi-freeze r12 compatible freon.I was thinking buying everything from auto zone. Is this a bad idea or does anybody have a better suggestion on where to purchase everything together at a fair price and good quality?I;m not looking for cheep but sky's not the limit only half way. :nanawrench:
ALSO,ALREADY REPLACED ALL THE SWITCHES/RELAYS UNDER THE HOOD AND WILL USE THEM.

If you go R134, you will also need the small conversion kit that has the two adapters for the gauges. Also, use the Green O-rings, and since your entire system will be new, use PAG oil ( 134 viscosity is recommended, so I used 150). I got the oil with the dye in it, in case I had a leak. 43 oz is the recommended charge, but you might need a little more ( never get all out of a can)

Forgot to mention, for your condenser, try and get one that is Parallel Flow. Easiest way to visually see it is how the pipes enter the condenser. On a standard condenser, the pipe enters, and then loops back and forth, exiting at the bottom. On a parallel flow, there is a manifold pipe down the side with a bunch of small pipes running off into the condenser. This style is much more efficient.

At Rockauto.com, the parallel flow part number is VISTA-PRO Part # 2034, while the stock style is SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # 73232. Look it up, and click info on each of these parts, and you will see the difference.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Keep it an R-12 system.

·
Registered
388 Posts
maxi-freeze r12 compatible freon.
Are you aware that maxi-freeze is a hydrocarbon based refrigerant? It is not 'freon' by any stretch. You can do as you wish with your own vehicle as I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm just saying that I wouldn't use it.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Are you aware that maxi-freeze is a hydrocarbon based refrigerant? It is not 'freon' by any stretch. You can do as you wish with your own vehicle as I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm just saying that I wouldn't use it.

I did and the compressor froze after a week so I replaced everything and went with 134a and no problems and blowing in the low forties and can only turn the fan on low it's so cold.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I did and the compressor froze after a week so I replaced everything and went with 134a and no problems and blowing in the low forties and can only turn the fan on low it's so cold.:nanawrench:
I didn't see this post until today so I apologize for being late in answering it. Your compressor likely froze because of not having enough or the right type of oil in it, not from the type of refrigerant. These old R4 compressors are pretty finnicky about oil since they don't have a sump and rely stricly on the oil in suspension in the refrigerant flow. About 134a; unless you change to a parallel flow condensor you'll never get near as cold as R12, which I still use untill I run out of it. Even some of the replacemants like R414B or Freeze 12 would be better as a drop in because R134a runs at higher pressures and puts a strain on systems not set up for it. Mine reaches the low 30s/high 20s. Also, you might have leakage problems with R134a down the road if you haven't changed to HNBR (green) o rings and barrier type hoses.

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
R12 will give the best performance, but it is expensive and harder to find. If you need a charge, then that means you had a leak. If you don't find and fix that before you re-charge, you'll just be throwing money away.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I can't argue with anyone whether R-12 makes it colder or not, but it damn well better for the price of it. R-134 is much cheaper and readily available from any auto-parts store, which in itself, makes it better than r-12, IMHO. I've used 134 in my G-body cars for many years down here in Florida. I've never felt as though it didn't cool sufficiently and therefore needed some other refrigerant, but then again, more often than not, I prefer driving with my windows down, AC off, while cruizin'.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I don't know but with my 134r system I can only put it on low it's so cold and it's been installed for a good year. Make sure the heater core box is sealed up or you will loose most of the blower motor force out into the motor compartment. Mike helped me with everything and it all worked on the first try and loving it!!!!!!!!!

D

·
0 Posts
HKDUP87,
I hope your right on the condensor, I bought the Vista pro for mine, still have to get a compressor and have some hoses made.

My 350 is purring like kitten, 165 miles and adding more everyday

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Great question and thread. I've been pondering the same since my compressor is leaking at the clutch. Change clutch gaskets or just whole compressor....
Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts