El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m looking to order lowering springs for my 67, I’m thinking 3” rear and 2” front, however at this height can I just use the usual KYB gas shocks or would I need to get some that compensate for being lower? Also, with 3” lower spring in the rear, will normal air bags be able to fit inside? I’m curious as to what you guys have ran with similar set up’s before I order parts and find out the hard way that something doesn’t work together.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
My 70 EC has standard height spindles but coil over shocks that lower the front about an inch. My tired 1970 rear coils have got to have lost an inch or two over the years - probably yours, too.

In a very roundabout way, I'm trying to say that my EC is low enough. Three inches would be even lower for me and I think, too low. It would limit rear wheel and tire choices a lot and I already worry about getting on and off the lift with my headers being too low.

Just be careful what you wish for because mine is almost too low and I didn't consciously try to lower it.

Rick

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 70 EC has standard height spindles but coil over shocks that lower the front about an inch. My tired 1970 rear coils have got to have lost an inch or two over the years - probably yours, too.

In a very roundabout way, I'm trying to say that my EC is low enough. Three inches would be even lower for me and I think, too low. It would limit rear wheel and tire choices a lot and I already worry about getting on and off the lift with my headers being too low.

Just be careful what you wish for because mine is almost too low and I didn't consciously try to lower it.

Rick
Thanks for the info! I’m actually used to my Japanese cars before I got this which were maybe 3” off the ground so that much lower shouldnt be bad! I do know for sure that my springs are at least 1” lower then new stock ones as you said.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
My tired old springs and slightly less tall tires, allow my headers to hit the speed bumps in my community.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I have a set of 2" drop spindles if you want to go that route. My issue was I had 1" lowering springs in the front and the 2" drop spindles with disc brakes 15' wheels and id rub the fender while turning.
for me and the look I wanted I went and air bagged it. sits nice and low for show and I can lift it to a safe driving height while driving.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a set of 2" drop spindles if you want to go that route. My issue was I had 1" lowering springs in the front and the 2" drop spindles with disc brakes 15' wheels and id rub the fender while turning.
for me and the look I wanted I went and air bagged it. sits nice and low for show and I can lift it to a safe driving height while driving.
I actually have drum brakes all around still so don’t think drop spindles will work for me at the moment unfortunately. Thank you tho!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Then Bag it... It isn't that hard on these. I've never done it before and it took a few days of making mistakes but I like it so much better than the springs

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I used a universal single below in front and no shocks and universal double below in the rear. Gets me to 3" from the crossmember in the front and a little higher at the rear cause I didn't want to cut the frame and bed. 2 vistar pumps into a 5 gal tank and 3/8's line. You can go 1/2 in but I didn't want to jerk my truck around that hard with them.
Air Ride Parts - Air Bags - HOPPO'S These guys' were a big help to me answering dumb ?s

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used a universal single below in front and no shocks and universal double below in the rear. Gets me to 3" from the crossmember in the front and a little higher at the rear cause I didn't want to cut the frame and bed. 2 vistar pumps into a 5 gal tank and 3/8's line. You can go 1/2 in but I didn't want to jerk my truck around that hard with them.
Air Ride Parts - Air Bags - HOPPO'S These guys' were a big help to me answering dumb ?s
That’s a pretty cool set up, thanks for all the info. How much did it end up running you for all that?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I pieced mine together for about 1200. Don't skimp on the fittings. I didnt put the pumps and tank-in the sluggers bay but it’s gonna get moved there. I also used the slam valve header and it’s super easy.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
With lowering springs and larger wheels/tires, I had KYB GR2 shocks wear out pretty quickly in front. Got a second set under warranty that also gave up pretty quickly. So I went with Bilstein B6, and those are doing a better job of controlling the wheels - and have lasted longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts