El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I have had a thread about this before and you guys told me that my lock up converter lagging was because the powerband of my engine didnt match up to my tranny. Well what it does is it auto turns on the lock up converter but be doing so it laggs. I can push the pedal to the floor and i dont go any faster and rpms dont go up when the converter kicks in. It off and on does this. It hasnt happened for months until yesterday.

I can ride it out cause it picks up speed quickly after about 3 seconds but still slips/gets caught/stuck until i reach speeds of about 45.

Well i dont know if this is a problem or not but the lock up converter is really havin troubles.... Goin up a hill today and of course thats the worst time for it to get caught. Then it got out of the lock up and the rpms went back to normal, then it slipped with the converter, then got out. For some reason it gets REAL loud when it slips... Should i just unplug it??? It only happens a for a couple weeks in a row every few months or so but i dont know if this will harm my tranny at all?

I got the TH350 if any of you all needed to know.

I am just worried it could cause damage to tranny?

Que for TrannyMike!

Thanks guys

Brandon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes you can unplug it. Ran mine for about two years without that lock-up plug in. Didnt know I even had lockup until i whent to put a higher stall converter in. Wound up learning the hard way that there even was a lock up TH350C that exists, ordered the wrong converter and everything. Didnt matter in the long run, the 383 stroker I put in front of it blew it to pieces later anyway.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
unplugging the converter on a lockup 350 will harm nothing i used one for years with no ill effect on the trans.only seems to kill the od trans

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks!! Where do i unplug it at???

I didnt order it? Thats how we got it!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay ill find out for sure before i do but i think i know what your talking about!

Its only when the tranny is warmed up too? Sometimes it almost dies it drops the rpms so low!
I was going 2300 rpms up a hill and the rpms dropped down to 900 rpm!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it should be the only plug on a 350 c trans. and if it is the correct one for your 84 it should be a square 4 pin plug,usually with 3 wires

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay cool! That wasnt what i was thinking of! Good thing you showed me!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts