El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to use a 200 4R tranny with a 92 year
350 Chevy engine that has a one piece rear main seal. I understand these one piece seal engines take a different flexplate than an engine with the two piece main seal.

What I don't know is if I should use the small 153 tooth flexplate or the larger 168 tooth. Do they even make both sizes for this engine tranny combo and if so does it make any difference which one to use?
I also know the starter would be a different one depending on which size flexplate is used.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yes they make both sizes just like the earlier engines .i always use the 14 in flexplate on everything i build.that and one of the factory gear reduction starters .the motors always crank easy

·
Registered
432 Posts
The key here is, one piece seal. The bolt pattern is different than the two piece seal. The balance is different than the two piece seal. I believe that you will want the 153 tooth flexplate.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
you cant put the early flywheels on the late motors.the whole end of the crank is different,the register and the bolt circle.the cars used the small flywheel and trucks used the big.the trucks are more prone to heavy heat soak and were too hard to crank when hot so they put the bigger flywheel on to make sure they crank easy. you just buy the 14 in flywheel for the year motor you have.the starter will have two long bolts instead of one long one short.

·
Supporting Member
4,568 Posts
I just went through this last week on my new crate engine. I bought the 14" flexplate, but it looked like it would be a tight fit with the 200-4r. I also had problems with the starter alignment( Too close to the flexplate, even with shims. When I did some more research, I found posts where the 200-4r was supposed to get the 153 tooth plate. While I think I could have made the 14" work, it was easier to get the smaller plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts