El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a 84 El Camino 305 v8. What automatic transmission is stock on these? It's a three speed auto.

I'm having some smoke when I start the engine up and I heard that the vacuum modulator could be leaking into the vacuum line? The other thing is that it could be valve seals? I did check my vacuum at idle and it was not moving at all, stayed at "15"

Thanks for any help!
Rick

·
Registered
802 Posts
If its stock its more than likely a TH350. But it could be a 350C which is just a cheaper version of a 350. And it could ALSO be a TH200 which is just as junky lol. The best way to tell is look at the pan and check it on the internet

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
If it's a 3 speed auto most likely it is a th350.... Hopefully someone chimes in with a pic of all the oil pan differences. Shape of the oil pan is a good way to tell

·
Registered
802 Posts

1. Powerglide
2. TH200
3. TH350
4. TH400
5. TH200-4R
6. 700R4-4L60E
7. 4L80E

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hate to differ but it might be the Th250. Looks exactly like a Th350 except its not nearly as strong. That's what I had in my 81.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You mean the 350C?

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
The th250 looks just like the th350 with some minor differences, if it has the stock oil pan it should have the word "metric" stamped on it. There are some other minor differences to tell them apart

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
a 250 was made in the c family too c means lock up converter my friends 81 had a 250c lock up converter.a 250 will have an external band adjustment not on a 350,i believe its on the same side as the dipstick tube,to tell if you have a lock up trans is look for the plug on the driver side of the trans. ask trany mike he can tell you more if needed

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's right. If it has "metric" stamped on the pan it's a Metric 200. Usually for v6 cars, so you shouldn't have that. Hopefully you don't! :beer:

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
The 250 came with 6 cyl motors. CCC is correct about the band adjuster for ID and that a 250 can have lock-up. If it says metric on the pan it's a 200 series. The 350C is not a cheaper model of 350, it's a newer model 350 with lock-up added to it. If you find out it's a 350, pull the vacuum line off the modulator. It should be dry there, if not the modulator is bad and probably the reason for the motor smoking. :beer:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys, I'll check the modulator when I get back in town from business trip this week. I've had my El Camino for about 4 weeks and love it so far. I'll post pics of it soon too.

I'm really hoping it's the modulator, since its a $25 part.
I look at the oil pan layout to see what trans it is, I didn't realize that there are so many different ones on this car.

-Ric2604

1 - 13 of 13 Posts