El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been piecing my elky back together to get on the road this summer (cleaning up after someone else's tear down)... I finally got her running byt my edelbrock is shot and I have some cash to just buy a new one. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to carburetors and how they work besides they have a throttle and vacuum lines and a kickdown cable... I want something that is going to haul and I'm not that concerned about gas mileage. I want to stick with a single inlet, and I have a 350 engine with an edelbrock performer manifold with an aluminum riser and a 3 speed automatic transmission.
What about manual choke vs. electric?... I don't think I have a connector for an electric choke... I live in California... mostly warm weather driving. My friend was saying he thought I could just disable the choke?
Wouldn't mind keeping it under $400, appreciate any suggestions on what I need to get as far as specs, features, models, brands etc.
Thanks
Stu Camino

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
Hi Stu. I have a not stock 350 with an Eddy Performer intake. I got a Q-jet from mountain man carbs in Arkansas. It performs very well. They were very helpful over the phone, and a joy to deal with. It was little over 200 dollars to my door. If you research here you will find this to be a very good carb for many applications. And I still get 17 mpg! Wouldn't trade for any Eddy or Holley carb. Here is a pic of it. Their Phone# is 479-639-2022

Tim

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Ditto on Mountain Man carb. Just call them and tell them what you have and how you want to use the car. They will build you a nice carb that is ready to go. I now have 60k miles on my rebuilt carb and have never had a problem. Good luck.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Hey stu also check out sean murphy inductions
he is out kn cali. He rebuilt my q jet to stage 2 specs
x3 on a good rebuilt qjet cheers:nanawrench:

·
0 Posts
Q-jet all the way bro! Thats what I just got put on my 383!:beer:

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome Stu
check your intake,, see if its a spread bore or a square bore??
the aluminum riser maybe a adapter from one to the other,,or it could be just a spacer??

x2 on the Q-Jet for a street car..:texas:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts