El Camino Central Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Junior Member, Flyinhoss

My date car in High School was my parents '50 Bel Air PG hard top, my'29 fix-or-repair daily rod, with no top was just not suitable for girls of tha era, in our small town, at least. I bought a '52 2dr. Chevy, while in the Army and traded it for a '56 2dr.post, then a 55 Pontiac convertible, traded for a '59 convertible that a telephone pole took out the passenger side, the a 63 Chevy convertible. After a host of family grocery getters, I got my '67 El Camino 300+hp 327, coming off a fresh resto and in the paint shop, now! My wife has a '69 GTO Judge we also have a '65 GMC half ton long bed and a couple of Corvairs, a'64 Spyder turbo coupe and a'68 convertible 140 PG. The '64 is almost show ready and will be 4 sale

·
Director Region 22
1,208 Posts
Chevy rules

My first car was a chevy , bought it new ,a 1977 NOVA 350 4bbl 4 speed with posi . Still have it today.......:smile3:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
My first car, 1976 Monte Carlo. The first car I built was a 1973 Monte Carlo.

Doug

·
Master Dipstick
544 Posts
69 Camaro for me....paid $2,800 for it. not a letter car, it had a 307 pulled that, bought a 327 from a junkyard for $50.00 rebuilt that and put it in the Camaro. The good old days.... that got me hooked great memories!!!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
1977 Nova hatchback, candy apple red with bigs & skinnies, headers and header mufflers, 305 & some godawful big cam and LOTS of bondo. Sounded a lot better than it ran, but I was in high school so it was OK!

·
Registered
142 Posts
My First Chevy

My first was a 65 El Camino SS. Had a 327, 250hp version. Bought it for 85.00 in high school in 1973. Had a buddy that told me about the car and we made a deal he would give 55.00 for the trans in it. I don't know what my thinking was except that I figure I got the car for 35.00? Young and dumb? Anyway, my neighbor had a good M21 Muncie, with Hurst Shifter for 120.00 with a clutch throw out setup and bell housing . Ended up a good thing because the original trans had a problem and had to be rebuilt. So I actually came out ahead. Car was really solid and it ran pretty well. The 327 had been rebuilt but I tore it down because it was smoking and found it had 6 crack rings. End gap probably not done right? I had buddy that had a 396 325HP engine and sold it to me for 75.00. ( Wouldn't it be nice if things were this cheap now?) Had the bottom end gone through. While that was being done I gasket and port match the heads to the intake. The cost to rebuild the 327 was going be more and I would not have a big block! Added headers, a new 650 Holley, Hurst Link traction bars and put a 12 bolt 3.73 posi in it. Bracket raced it one summer and it ran a 12.90 flogging it in with some tall 8.50.15 MH slicks. Just going with a better profiled tire and i would bet we could have got 12.80? All told probably I probably had 1000.00 in the whole car. I worked part time at Montgomery Wards tire shop in my first 2 years of Junior college. I would get the best used tires from people that were buying new ones as they came in. LOL! Got some Ansen Wheels this way as well. Guy was buying different wheels and I gave him an offer. I did however wreck my beloved SS Malibu bending the front frame clip and that was that.

That car actually has led me to my El Camino. Always wanted another Chevelle. But my needs were slightly different. I needed a truck for my wife and I's business where I have to haul physique contest materials form KC to St. Louis once a year and local. Solution? "EL CAMINO"! My current car is not a big block but I got my Chevelle (Toy) and a truck !

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Ooh! I love the '67 convertibles. Let me know if you want to sell it!

Mine was factory with a 327/275hp and powerglide.
I might consider selling Roger, but remember, you were warned!

pic #1 - the original 283 bored 30 over, rebuilt by a racing shop 25 yrs ago, run for maybe 45 minutes total (Powerglide is buried somewhere in the garage)

pic #2 - American Racing Torque Thrust D (15x7 iirc), bought 26 yrs ago, never installed

pic #3 - original bench seats, recovered 23 yrs ago, never installed

pic #4 - the '67 in all it's glory :rockon: (I did say it needs re-assembly)

pic #5 - bonus points if you can guess which one this is, it was never taken apart. (factory a/c, 70k original miles, pretty much all original)

What I'd really rather do is get a garage like yours with some playroom in it. You can always come down and help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That looks like quite a project!

#5 is a '65 Impala. I was 9 years old when they came out and I fell in love the first time I laid eyes on it. I remember the moment vividly. Riding in the car with my dad on the way to school.
Hard to tell but it looks like it could be in a lot better shape the the '67.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
That looks like quite a project!

#5 is a '65 Impala. I was 9 years old when they came out and I fell in love the first time I laid eyes on it. I remember the moment vividly. Riding in the car with my dad on the way to school.
Hard to tell but it looks like it could be in a lot better shape the the '67.
it is (the '65), but no thanks to the bro-in-law and his plans to "restore" it (long story...). I'd have it in the garage if I had the room to get it in. Too much other stuff and a side-entry garage make a bad combination, that's why I want a garage like yours!

Wife wants me to see if I can get it cleaned up and running in time for the daughters quinceanera (not a chance, should have asked a year ago)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
it is (the '65), but no thanks to the bro-in-law and his plans to "restore" it (long story...). I'd have it in the garage if I had the room to get it in.
Any chance your BIL would want to sell the '65? It's an SS right?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wish my first Chevy was as cool as some of the ones listed. First one I actually BOUGHT was a 1990 Chevy Cavalier Z24 with the 3.1 EFI.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Any chance your BIL would want to sell the '65? It's an SS right?
considering it's my car now and will be passed down to the daughter when she gets old enough to appreciate it, not much chance. as for the specs:

1965 Impala SS convertible w/327 and Powerglide, factory a/c, and bucket seats with T-console shifter, about 70k miles, all original parts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
considering it's my car now and will be passed down to the daughter when she gets old enough to appreciate it, not much chance. as for the specs:

1965 Impala SS convertible w/327 and Powerglide, factory a/c, and bucket seats with T-console shifter, about 70k miles, all original parts
Very cool car. I hope she does acquire a love for it.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Ever think of selling the T.T.Ds T?
sorry, nope. those are intended for the 67 Impala if I ever finish it. I got a killer deal on them (caps, nuts, and wheels) due to a store mis-order for another customer. They were going to have to ship them back and I just happened to walk in at the right moment.

They've been on that shelf so long I can't even remember if they're TT IIs, Ds, or Os! (I can't even get back in there with so much stuff packed in the garage!)

·
Registered
445 Posts
My first chevy was a ‘71 Kingswood that I traded my first car for. 327 quadrajet, turbo 400. We called it the dragon-wagon lol.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,585 Posts
The first Chevy that I owned was a 59 Impala that my parents and a friend bought for me for $ 400 to get to Miami- Dade Community College ( north campus ) , as I would have to take three different buses to there from where I lived with my aunt in Hialeah and then later to Jacksonville University in Jacksonville , Florida . Used it to get me round the city , baseball practice and Jaxs Beach to go surfing . It was large enough to carry my old style 10 ft. surfboard on the roof from campus . Over a 5 year period and doing some of the work and salvage yards , I was able to put in a 327 cu. in. engine , Holley 4 barrel , a 4 speed , bucket seats and console from a junked Buick . A dual exhaust had two 4 in. driveshafts I cut and had welded for rear exit exhaust pipes .The interior was all redone in a roll and pleated white Naugahyde with a decent dark green color paint job and the dash I painted a candy apple green . Sold it for $ 200 to later buy a used 70 Barracuda . Man , I wish I could afford another 59 .

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,530 Posts
The first Chevy I owned was a 1977 El Camino. And that's where the addiction started....:banana:

[/IMG]

61 - 80 of 102 Posts