El Camino Central Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
My first Chevy was my first new car, 1986 Cavalier coupe, right out of college. Then I bought an '89 Cavalier wagon for the ex-wife. Then my first el Camino, '81, used. Two '73's over the next few years. Now I drive a Malibu for the mileage since my commute is 75 miles a day.

My first el Camino was my dad's '73 that I drove in college after lots of body work, paint job and engine tune-up. That is where my affection started. Working on getting another. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
First Chevrolet: 1962 Corvette 327 4spd in 1971. First EC: 1970 Custom 350 3spd manual in the console in 1974

·
Registered
702 Posts
My first Chevy was a used 1978 Malibu Wagon in the early 80's. It had a stock 229 V6 and I had a local shop install a street/strip Trans-Go shift kit in the TH350. I got real tired of chasing my hubcaps around the neighborhood when the 1-2 shift would shock them off the rear wheels. I put a set of Keystone Classics on it to eliminate the hubcap problem. I built a .030-over 283 with .194 Powerpack heads for it, but never installed it. Instead, I sold the wagon to finance a 1971 V8 Vega, which is where the 283 wound up.

Because the wagon's taillights were so low in the rear bumper, lots of inattentive drivers and motorcyclists kept not seeing them. I quickly installed a set of utility trailer lights inside the back window as close to the roof as I could. At night the whole interior would light up in red when I hit the brakes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My first Chevy of many was a 1953 2-dr sedan, 6 cyl, 3 speed, 2-tone brown. I owned it for all of about 30 some minutes because I traded it for a 1950 Chevy 2 dr sedan, black, 3 spd tranny with a 265 Chevy V-8 conversion still using the torgue tube. I blew tranny after tranny with that thing. The thing that I liked about it was the 270 Duntov cam. Fantastic thump. Ahhh the memories. It only got better after that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
1964 Corvette Convertible.

I was out of University for a couple of years and wanted to enter the old car hobby. Pre internet days we used to do deals by phone. Finding what I was looking for, I grabbed my Dad, a few clothes and a bunch of tools and flew 2300km to pick up my new (new to me) vette.

We drove it home, but sweated off a few pounds from the terrarium effect (rain and lots of engine heat through a fiberglass firewall). Arrived home a couple of days later almost deaf from all the wind whistles around the weather stripping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My first car was a ‘60 Brookwood 2 door station wagon. Next in order was a ‘57 Belair 2 door sedan, 72 Monte Carlo, 67 GTO Convt, 74 Vega GT, 74 Nova Cpe, 73 Chevelle Station wagon, 66 Chevelle 300, then a bunch more.

Currently I have the following: 70 L46 Corvette, 72 L48 Corvette, 72 LS5 Corvette, 93 Corvette Ruby Red Corvette Convt, ‘00 Corvette FRC and a 16 Stingray.

Last but not least is a 69 El Camino SS396. I always wanted one and now I have one. I picked it up a Spring Carlisle. :banana:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well it wasn't a Chevy but it was a GM product. 1967 Firebird with a 326 V8 and a 2 speed powerglide tranny. Picked it up in 1977, got it in a trade, straight across for a '68 VW Beetle. Wish I had it now, it would be worth a fortune, Sold it a year later for $900.00. That was the first in a line of hot rods, followed by a 1974 Firebird, 1970 Camaro, 1964 Buick Riviera, 1976 El Camino SS and now my 1984 El Camino.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Well it wasn't a Chevy but it was a GM product. 1967 Firebird with a 326 V8 and a 2 speed powerglide tranny. Picked it up in 1977, got it in a trade, straight across for a '68 VW Beetle. Wish I had it now, it would be worth a fortune, Sold it a year later for $900.00. That was the first in a line of hot rods, followed by a 1974 Firebird, 1970 Camaro, 1964 Buick Riviera, 1976 El Camino SS and now my 1984 El Camino.
My first new Chevy was a 67 Camaro ($ 3600 ) sold for 500 $ , after 5 different accidents ,none my fault , the color was stealth blue , no one saw me ,sold in 73 . I should of had it repaired & kept it .

·
Registered
76 Posts
I owned a 59 Impala, before I went in the service in 1967. Since then I had a 53 BelAir, a 1965 impala, 73 camaro. Now I'm working on my 85 Caballero which I recently bought.

·
Registered
532 Posts
First chevy

Okay Roger, here ya' go ...

The first Chevy I bought was my '78 El Camino, (this is what it looked like in 1982)
Elco as purchased.jpg

But, the first CAR I bought was in 1970.
It was a 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix (Still a GM) - loved that cruiser ... GP 4 pics.jpg

Actually, the first Chevy I bought was only HALF chevy ...
1963_Ford_F100_Patina (2).jpg

In 1978 I paid $300 for a 1963 F100 - somebody had grafted a ‘57 Chevy 283 2bbl with a 2-speed powerglide into it.
57 Chevy 283.jpg

I put a cam in it, headers, dual exhaust, and a Mustang floor shifter. I had it painted silver, did the interior in black rattle can spray paint, raised the front by installing lifting blocks on the straight front axle, and added Dick Cepek off road tires on white slotted wheels. I don’t know what rear-end gears it had, and I had no tach, but it would hit 60 mph before shifting into second gear!
I got good at changing broken valve springs - that always happened on dates with my girlfriend.
The Chevy small block made it a really fun truck. Probably put 100k miles on it.

In 1982 I sold it to a friend for $800 - then I bought my ‘78 El Camino. EC rear crop.png

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ted I had a 64 Grand Prix too. Mine was Teal and had a 421 with a hydro. It ran pretty good but couldn't beat my 64 Bonneville because those came with the better 4 speed hydro-a-matic trans, the GP and Catalinas came with the 3 speed Slim Jim.. This is the only photo I have of it.. They were factory show cars, it also had AM/FM Reverb, gauge package, power rear antenna...

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ted I had a 64 Grand Prix too. Mine was Teal and had a 421 with a hydro. It ran pretty good but couldn't beat my 64 Bonneville because those came with the better 4 speed hydro-a-matic trans, the GP and Catalinas came with the 3 speed Slim Jim.. /QUOTE]

Thats because the Catalina/GP were on a shorter wheelbase with a different floor pan. The hydra-matic wouldn't fit with the smaller "hump".

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
1st chevy was a '64 corvair (in 1970). couldn't keep transaxles in it tho. ended up having 2 more over the years, (all '64s) including a turbo spyder convertible

:shocked2:

·
Registered
460 Posts
First was a brand new '88 Celebrity wagon, great family car! Then a new '97 Lumina 4-door sedan, another good ride, passed down to daughter. Finally in 2002 bought my first '84 El Camino, then in 2007 my current '87 El Camino. And lastly not a Chevy but a still a GM, in 2013 I bought & still have a '12 GMC Canyon with extended cab. Have enjoyed them all!

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
My very first car was a Chevy. 1967 RS/SS Camaro. I was 13 years old, (yes, I had a driver's licence at 13... Louisiana.) Bought it with my own working money as well. I had it about a year before plowing it into a parked Kenner LA, police car.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
That is one of my favorite all-time cars!!!!
Your car was a gorgeous one too!
I wish you still owned that car. Why? So you could sell it to me! :smile3:
Like a DUMMY, I sold it a couple years after I got it painted and detailed to my standards. It was flawless, inside and out. Every week, (it was just like the one Jeff posted) I spent at least an hour on all the chrome on the dash and console!
I put the stock wheels & covers back on, cause the "wannabe cragars" were out of round, and then it looked great.

There are still some nice ones out there that have not been too molested. I look all the time, and wonder where it ended up.
Talk about "a labor of love" ... I drove it daily like this for 3 years!

'64 GP.jpg

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wow...nice thread and great stories guys. I once owned a 64 F-250 4X4 with the running gear and 350sbc from a Chevy 1 ton. It was a rust bucket though.

My 1st.....and last Chevy until I bought my 14 Camaro SS....1978 K-5 Blazer. I made it “back seat delete” and ran “custom” bean bag rear. Man, did I have fun during spring break, Ft Lauderdale, circa 1980.

This is the vehicle that I have the fondest memories....a boy becoming a man....growing up in Miami, Cocaine Cowboys, Mariel boat lift, 1980 McDuffy Miami Race Riots....

I was terrorizing Miami’s mean streets....and off road trails...I was young...and I knew it all!!!
And my trusty steed never failed me..
3CFE3E2C-EB97-4ECE-8568-7BAB00EAD19A.jpeg

That’s Wolf, my Alaskan Malamute. Too cold up there...he loved the sun and fun. Cibie Super Oscars on custom (me) made roof mounts. WSHE front tag and Zeta 4 decal on bumper. Those were the 2 rock stations back then in SoFL.
I’m sporting my Bad Company concert T....damn, I just realized I’m old as f*ck!

81 - 100 of 102 Posts