El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bowtie smileThis is my first thread so hopefully it's a good one.

Well there is a new issue that needs to be dealt with. My 83 Caballero stalled today and I think it has something to do with the horrible noise coming from something under my alternator. Im certain its not the alternator because it seems to be coming from somewhere else. Well anyway, This noise is intermittent and only happens for a few minutes after start up. It happens after every start up warm or cold, but goes away when I start driving. I think it could be the smog pump. :dontknow:

Any advice I can get would be appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to say that it idles horribly during this and every so often when im stopped

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
:dontknow: Just something to also think about....Went through the same thing with mine for a long time. When I thought I had it eliminated down to the smog pump...Turned out it was a clogged catalytic converter that had progressed enough to warp the exhaust manifold on that Right side etc. Had apparently been partly that way since when I bought it several years before. UNBELIEVEABLE how much better it sounds and runs overall after getting that fixed (back to stock of course). No noises on cold start etc...No listening through a pry bar handle to see if it is this pulley or that one etc. And well enjoying the drive going back and forth all over Region 6. Away for another meet here as I try to peck this out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh that's a new one. I thought about the cat for awhile because my catalytic converter rattles around a little bit, but then I couldn't figure out the noise. Thanks. Ill definitely keep this one in mind, because if this is it I could go pick up the pick up the parts at the closest pick-your-part :nanawrench:
Anyone else?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Oh that's a new one. I thought about the cat for awhile because my catalytic converter rattles around a little bit, but then I couldn't figure out the noise. Thanks. Ill definitely keep this one in mind, because if this is it I could go pick up the pick up the parts at the closest pick-your-part :nanawrench:
Anyone else?
X2 on what Randy said.

I had the same exact problem and it sounded like there was a box of rocks and a cowbell in my cat. I had to toss my exhaust manifold, the catalytic convertor, and get a new smog/air pump. The noise drove me crazy for weeks! But, I converted the system to Edelbrock TES headers, with an MCSS cat and 2-1-2 Pypes with dual mufflers. Much better.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Anyone else?
get a cat converter at a jyard !?! good luck with that! they usually cut them out for the precious metals and sell them to the metal recyclers themselves. besides, who's to say the one from a jyard is any better?

I'd buy the aftermarket like elcodude said. probably flows a lot better too and costs just as much as stock

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Easy fix.

The klinkendagger valve is demodulated from the fraggastat.:poke:

:dontknow:

The smog pumps can make some nasty noises when they decide their time is up. Pull the belt off and see if the noise goes away.

You can also get a "test" pipe to put in your exhaust to see if the cat is plugged up.

And X475,000 on not getting a used cat. It could be already bad, last a day or last 20 years. You never know. Money well spent for a new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Water pumps squeak from time to time when the corrosion builds up and causes too much friction. The acoustics from sounds bouncing off of the fender wells, fire wall, and hood can make a sound's source hard to pin point. Has your car been overheating? May be time to replace the fuel pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts