El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
In the past, I have started on the pass side where the harness goes thru the f/w.........then on the dr. side, I think the fuse box can be separated...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the past, I have started on the pass side where the harness goes thru the f/w.........then on the dr. side, I think the fuse box can be separated...
Would that be the dirt encrusted box with a bolt thru the center I found mounted to the firewall in the engine bay??? it's so filthy I can't tell. Although I can't imagine having a fuse box out in the open like that exposed to the elements. (I think I just answered my own dumb ass question) lol!!!!! Thanks for the input though.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,952 Posts
Did you take the inner fenders out ? If not, It will be easier !!

·
Registered
852 Posts
no inner fenders makes it alot easier. mine are gone and it makes eveerything seem so spacious under the hood. it helps with removing excess heat as well.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
Would that be the dirt encrusted box with a bolt thru the center I found mounted to the firewall in the engine bay??? it's so filthy I can't tell. Although I can't imagine having a fuse box out in the open like that exposed to the elements. (I think I just answered my own dumb ass question) lol!!!!! Thanks for the input though.
Yes, that dirt encrusted box is the bulkhead fitting on the back of the fusebox - there are two harnesses there, the engine harrness and the light harness. the back of the harness is protected by a nasty greasy like coating of something that eliminates the water intrusion you might expect in an exposed place like this.

The harness to your computer (if equipped) is different and comes through the firewall somewhere else. You might also have a seperate AC harness if so equipped.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
You do not need to remove the ,inner fender on the drivers side,just the washer bottle.10 MM holding in the wire harness ,the pass inner fender will need to come out if you want to remove the harness going through the pass saide for the A/C stuff :texas:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the driverside you need a 1/4 in socket to remove the plug.depending on which wiper motor you have will determine how hard it is to get out. the pass side has 2 harnesses the ecm and the heater/ac ,the inner fender on the pass side will need to at least be loosened up to remove the harness but is much easier to remove it completely

·
Registered
449 Posts
I took the windshield washer motor out to remove the plug on the drivers side. Are you keeping the computer or eliminating it. If you are eliminating it like I did. I would just cut the wires at the firewall and pull them through. You wont need to remove the inner fender if you cut them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the windshield washer motor out to remove the plug on the drivers side. Are you keeping the computer or eliminating it. If you are eliminating it like I did. I would just cut the wires at the firewall and pull them through. You wont need to remove the inner fender if you cut them.
Well. I think I have to keep the ECM due to emissions laws here. I'm going to a V8 and I plan to run a new aftermarket harness. My car is R134 equipped so it's something I plan to keep. Is it possible to pass emissions without the ECM? Any of my 5th Gen guys in AZ feel free to chime in.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts