El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the correct recommended HP or PSI of a compressor to run an impact wrench/spray gun while working on the Elco. ? For lug nuts engine/frame bolts? Or just a good all around shop compressor not for commercial use just me but I don't want to be undersized or overkill . I sell to a lot of compressor companies so what would be the price range new and used so I don't pay too much.
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I have one of the Husky 3hp 60 gallon ones from Homey depoe.

About 450 new and works pretty good. I keep my regulator set at 90-100psi and it keeps up with most thing if I dont run them too long at a time.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THEY HAVE THIS WITH ALL THE GOODIES BELOW FOR $194.49 RECON. WITH WARRANTY AT SEARS BY ME BUT I CAN'T FIND THE HP ON LINE OR THE CUT-OUT/CUT-IN ON THE PRESSURE SWITH:dontknow::dontknow:
Promote Your Page Too

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 18, 2012

Craftsman 26 Gallon Air Compressor with Impact Wrench and Ratchet (9-16471) Was: 299.99 Now: 269.99

• Craftsman Advantages
• 90 volt start up
• 500 hour life

Key Features
•Low maintenance, oil free, direct drive operation
•No oil to add or change
•No belts or pulleys to replace
•Easy cold weather start
•26 gallon ASME* vertical portable tank with wheels and cushioned handle grip
•Fully enclosed shroud covers working components
•Equipped with pressure regulator, pressure gauges, quick connect air outlet and on/off switch
•Includes:
•1/2” Craftsman Impact Wrench (#16882)
•3/8” Craftsman Ratchet (#19932)
•25’ PVC hose
•Two (2) male plugs
•Female plug
•Quick connect
•Seal tape
Sears Item #9-16471
This item comes with Full Warranty. Originally retailed for $299.99 Selling this one for $269.99 SAVE $30.00
Call or stop in for more details:
Sears of Warren
15455 Rte 6
Clarendon, PA 16313
(814)726-3609

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
IS HP A BIG FACTOR OR IS IT THE TANK SIZE AND PSI/SCMF ? 3 hp at 125 psi 11.2 smf at 90 psi 26 gallon is that in the ball park or higher HP?

Robert

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Oil-less, no belt style compressors are very, very loud.

X2 on the oil-less being LOUD

Tank size is your reserve air so the compressor doesnt run constantly, once again, the bigger the better.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
its the psi and the scfm that you want,, look at the scfm @ psi requirement for the tool you want to use..

3 hp at 125 psi 11.2 smf at 90 psi 26 gallon

that was 11.2 cfm right??
that one will probly work for you,,for weekend work,, not for a commercial use ..

i never had a oil-less,, they wouldnt last when they first came out,,im sure thay have got better over the years,,
and yea they are loud..:texas:

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Horsepower of the electric motor equals CFM pretty much. The bigger the motor, the bigger the compressor, and it's CFM capability. Have a 6 HP compressor, and a 5 HP compressor, which works OK for the blasting cabinet, which uses a lot of air. The idea there is to set the pressure switch on the smaller one to come on only when the bigger on gets down to a certain pressure. That way they aren't both running all the time, and the small one can be shut off most of the time, for normal air tool use. And even when it's turned off, the tank on it offers the extra capacity in the system.
Having a decent size compressor opens a whole new world of tools, which make most jobs easier.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Horsepower of the electric motor equals CFM pretty much. The bigger the motor, the bigger the compressor, and it's CFM capability. Have a 6 HP compressor, and a 5 HP compressor, which works OK for the blasting cabinet, which uses a lot of air. The idea there is to set the pressure switch on the smaller one to come on only when the bigger on gets down to a certain pressure. That way they aren't both running all the time, and the small one can be shut off most of the time, for normal air tool use. And even when it's turned off, the tank on it offers the extra capacity in the system.
Having a decent size compressor opens a whole new world of tools, which make most jobs easier.

O.K. YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD COMB. hp/gallon tank / scmf? Just for my use impact wrench mostly for taking off/on bolts and daily light work. I don't want to buy something that's going to be a problem down the road but don't really want to spend $1000.00 if I don't have to. I found a nice one but it's 220v and if I put a transformer 230/120 I will double the amps and be tripping the circuit breaker all the time unless I add a circuit 240v 2-pole breaker to my panel.
Thanks
Robert

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
I got rid of a 60gal, Sears, 6HP oil-less vertical compressor - 240V.... it was like an airplane in my garage - plus overkill since I wasn't doing any body work or paint.

I ended up with a portable - (ha, it's still big) 30 gal, 5hp, 110V unit, vertical tank with wheels and handtruck type handles from Lowes, a Kobalt. But I didn't see it on their website this year..... It was single cylinder, synthetic oil, piston style - old style - Seems like it was about $350 on sale.

You might check your local lowes and homedepot too, and Husky & Dewalt make that size, but I think the Dewalt is oil-less....

Good luck in your quest. Oh, and I think you would want a dedicated line to your garage if you went 240V unless there is an electric dryer nearby....

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Another option is a dewalt or eq electric impact wrench , 18v or plug in . No compressor needed.I'll soon get one for my collection. Pawn shops have better deals also these days if you know what you,re lookin at.
As far as compressors ,I got a dewalt emglo compressor($350 plus new) for $90 at pawn shop.Built good enough to risk getting used.Puts out 5.6 cfm @ 90 psi.
Be aware many horsepower ratings are BS. 5hp on 110 volts??? right:shock:. Output #'s are more truthful.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jp/jl thanks i will start looking

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
A few years ago they changed the HP ratings. Today compressor HP ratings are running HP. So what was a 5 HP compressor years ago would be a 3HP compressor today.
Figure for an average 1/2 impact you need 4-5 scfm(standard cubic feet per minute) at 90 psi. That's a constant running 90 psi. A 3/8 air ratchet a little less scfm a DA sander might be close to 9 scfm as would a an air file(long board sander)
The perfect all around for home shop would be a 5HP 60 gallon, preferrably vertical. Takes up less space. it would also be 230V single phase. It'll still run on 220V.
That being said, if all you're looking to do is R&I wheels then a DeWalt 1/2 electric impact is perfect.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Another option is a dewalt or eq electric impact wrench , 18v or plug in . No compressor needed.I'll soon get one for my collection. Pawn shops have better deals also these days if you know what you,re lookin at.
As far as compressors ,I got a dewalt emglo compressor($350 plus new) for $90 at pawn shop.Built good enough to risk getting used.Puts out 5.6 cfm @ 90 psi.
Be aware many horsepower ratings are BS. 5hp on 110 volts??? right:shock:. Output #'s are more truthful.

is THIS WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT? Batteries not included. Have you used one before? I already have a small compressor for tires and misc. small stuff. Is this even close to what a 5.6 cfm @ 90 psi 30gal. compressor would deliver?

WILL THIS WORK ON FRAME AND SUSPENTION BOLTS 23YRS AND COUNTING.

DEWALT Bare Tool 18-Volt 1/2" Drive Cordless Impact Wrench

Item #: 31962 | Model #: DW059B

6 reviews
| Write a review

$149.00​
Batteries and charger sold separately

Do you have a question about this product?

Get Help Now

Impacts Per Minute2600.0Length (Inches)10.75MaterialMagnesium and nylonNumber of Batteries Included for Tool0Tool Weight (lbs.)5.7Variable SpeedYesBattery Voltage18

Case IncludedNoCharge Time (Hours)0.0Charger IncludedNoColor/FinishDEWALT Yellow, BlackDrive Size1/2Impact Wrench Size (Inches)0.5Maximum Torque (Foot/lbs.)300.0

Customers Also Viewed

DEWALT 2-Pack 18-Volt Rechargeable Cordless Tool Battery

Item #: 23131 | Model #: DC9096-2

20 reviews
| Write a review

$99.00​
New Lower Price
Was: $129.00 (Save 23% )

Get Help Now

SegmentRechargeableUsageDEWALT 18V power toolsBattery Voltage18Charge Time (Hours)1.0

Housing MaterialABS PlasticRechargeableYesBattery Milliamp-Hour2400.0Battery Package Count2.0

Customers Also Viewed

·
Registered
184 Posts
i I will never ever again get a Sears compressor, yet use only Crafstman tools. Piece of JUNK compressor.

If I can give my 2 cents...I usually buy new, good name brand tools. On this specific instance, if you can find an old , meaning 30 plus years old, compressor, snatch it up if it runs. They were REALLY build better back then. Mine is almost 50 tears old. All steel and cast.

2 cylinders, requiring oil, but not a hassle to check once a month or so. I can be in the shop, 15 feet away and carry on a normal conversation with it running. With the oilless you had to be FAR away to get away from the noise.

ABSOLUTELY!!! get the salesman to run it for you before you buy an oilless!

Let us know what you get.

Before you paint, get back to us on how to deal with dryers for it.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anybody use one of these how do they work for light jobs? Thakes up a lot less room if they work.

Yes, This is My Store
No, change store location.

View Demo

DEWALT 120-Volt 1/2" Impact Wrench with Kit Box

Item #: 51056 | Model #: DW292K

6 reviews
| Write a review

$179.00​

Get Help Now

Accessories/Parts IncludedHeavy-Duty Kit BoxLength (Inches)11.25MaterialMagnesium, Steel, PlasticRPM's (RPM)2100.0Tool Weight (lbs.)7.0Variable SpeedNoVoltage (Volts)120.0Amperage (Amps)7.5
Case IncludedYesColor/FinishDEWALT® Yellow, Gray and BlackDrive Size1/2-InchForward/Reverse Rocker SwitchYesImpact Wrench Size (Inches)0.5Impacts Per Minute2700.0Maximum Torque (Foot/lbs.)345.0Cord Length (Inches)8.0

Customers Also Viewed

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Haven,t actually tried the larger dewalt battery or corded impact yet.I daily use the screwgun size impact, which does a nice job for us at work.Just thought I,d throw out another option. The advantage of a compressor though, is you can add many tools , such as air rachet to the power source. The emglo compressor sold under dewalt label is one of the best quality for it's size & price range.
Also consider this line of thought, you don,t have to have air tools to do most mechanical work on a vehicle, especially if you don,t do much heavy wrenching very often to begin with.:dontknow:. Nowhere did I say they're not nice to have though, butI use air tools for painting more than mechanical. I do alsohave a large breaker bar for when needed & a kung- fooey death grip.:beer:

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,047 Posts
this looks to be the exact same compressor we used just this last weekend to paint the engine compartment of my '66 - it runs fine for paint and will run an impact wrench too, for a bit anyway. But heed the warnings others have given, this thing sounds like a private plane landing in your garage - its intolerably loud, about the only thing going for it is its affordable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts