El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question I know. But does anyone know what the total lenght of a '72 is? I'm picking mine up this weekend and I want to make sure it fits in the garage. I have a built in workbench in the front that takes up 3 feet of the length of the bay and I needed to know if I have to remove it.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
I've got something that says a '71 is 206.8 inches. A '72 should be the same...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Dan is pretty much on the money. My '72 is 205 inches long, or a little over 17 feet. The width is about 74 inches. I have a garage that is 10 X 24. With a work bench and some tools, I still don't have much room to work on the Elky. Plus the family comes and goes through the garage, so I pull it in real close to the wall so people won't rub against it.
I wish I had more room to do work on it when it rains or during the winter, but I guess I just count myself lucky that I can store it inside here and not have to find a place for storage. Here is where I "shoe horn" the Elky into http://levitanj.home.mindspring.com/elky/garage/garage.html?
What size is your garage and how much work do you need to do the Elky? I know in my small garage, I can't even open a single door all the way without hitting the wall.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I have to angle my 76 in my garage. I've padded all the walls next to the where the doors open so that I don't screw up the paint job. :cool:

Oh yeah, I also scored some "Shag Carpet" from a friends place that they ripped out some time ago so it sits on that. I figure that around 76 Shag Carpet was the "In Thing" and it fits the time. :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size is your garage and how much work do you need to do the Elky?
The bay itself is 23 X 11(with the workbench 20x11). So that will leave me a foot 1/2 on the front and rear. Once I pull the front end off,I'll have even more.

As far as what needs to be done? Everything! I have to admit,I'm a bit of a perfectionist :oops:. If I don't put my gruby little paws on every nut,bolt and piece of the car,I will turn into this guy :evil: untill it's right in my eyes. It's some sort of disease that I don't know the cure for!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts