El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to change the lock-up connector and found this in the pan. How bad am I ? Driving I haven't had any problems that I could feel or hear and all gears work but this is definitely 3/4 of a complete circle. Is this going to the shop to be fixed or could I catch a break and something I can do myself knowing nothing about transmissions? Sense it hasn't been an issue till now can I do my motor swap and put it back together and then take it in if needed or this is not supposed to be touched till fixed or I will just cause more damage even driving two miles to the shop? I'm going back out and swap more oFF the engine so at least I can pull the motor this weekend and tranny if needed. Like they say about this hobby MO MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!:nanawrench:There's nothing else in the pan but a little sediment no metal looks clean.
Thanks
Robert

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
hkdup that is a magnet placed in the pan to catch metal shavings n debris
just clean it up good and put it back in the pan when you reinstall it no issues to be alarmed of at this time, UNLESS there where alot of metal shavings, a small amount and some blackish smudge in the bottom of pan is normal, as long as it doesnt look like glitter you should be fine.:beer:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
actually, that's half the magnet. they are round. should be another one just like that around there somewhere.

:dontknow:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The magnet was broken but I don't see the other piece. I was freak'n out $$$$$ I couldn't see how a piece that big fell out it doesn't look like there's a space big enough for it to fall into the pan. There was a little black sediment but nothing shinny but there were a couple of maybe plastic slivers I have a picture but I need to down load a video and a bunch of pictures tagging vacuum hoses and connectors to the cab. that is ready to come off and put on it's new motor. Also cleaned the trans. pan and painted the outside of it to take my mind of what I was going to find out from my post. What a relief . Last night was the balancer not being right but I fixed that by ordering timing tape and an engine stop. Later I found the correct balancer and it looks like I can ride my bike to get it .:beer::beer:
Thanks pic's of the slivers soon.
Robert

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...I like to say its a "chick" magnet that only attracts beers in cooler...:poke:
:beer:

·
823 Posts
it didn't fall from trans.... many people put a magnet in the pan to collect metal shavings.:dontknow:

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Thats similar to the tin foil hats people wear to prevent mind control by aliens.

Its used to intercept magnetic brain waves so you can think clearly.:secret:

No really, just a shavings magnet like everyone else said.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did find this looks like plastic or fiberglass?

·
Registered
11,510 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
petrified pan gasket or maybe part of the piece between the trans and valve body? :dontknow:
The gasket was all in tack with gray silicon.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Looks like the remnants of gasket sealer (red) from a previous change, I like the ice chest workbench you got there. Low budget and it works!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it looks like left over gasket sealer as mentioned above. i dont remember any red rings inside the trans. they look too random a shape to be a seal. send trany mike a pic and see what he says. they used two types of magnets in the trans. a round one like what you have half of and a flat synthetic one about an 1/8 thick and 1 1/2 in square. the pans that use the round one will have a dimple to keep the magnet in place near the back of the pan.the synthetic one will have its outline indented into the pan

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those pieces are a thrust washer coming apart. You need to open her up and see what washer it is.

I just put it back together on the 4th. My life story but there's no oil in it. Can I see it or just take it in? Doesn't look like something I can do just changing the filter it looks like complicated workings.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
I just put it back together on the 4th. My life story but there's no oil in it. Can I see it or just take it in? Doesn't look like something I can do just changing the filter it looks like complicated workings.
Robert,
Please call me and let me ask you a few questions. This is very unusual for a unit just done. When you say that you just put it back together, are you speaking of the motor or trans or both? This is not a good thing. Mike.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
{ Last edited by TrannyMike; Today at 10:01 PM. Reason: cause I freaking felt like it quit bugging me }
:funnypost:
Donny

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Robert,
Please call me and let me ask you a few questions. This is very unusual for a unit just done. When you say that you just put it back together, are you speaking of the motor or trans or both? This is not a good thing. Mike.

Mike in my PM to you earlier I said it had been five or six years sense it was rebuilt . I just took the pan off to install the new plug. What I was saying was I just did all the work and now it had to come apart to see what's up. You also mentioned it needs to get in and checked.,:nanawrench:

Thanks Robert

:poke:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts