El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i am surching for the data´s for the Wheel Alignment for my 71 El Camino. Does anyone have them, or where can i find them?

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
manual or power steering? There is a difference in the caster setting.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Factory specs? Toss them away. Totally useless for modern radial tires. Factory specs have it set negative, which makes the car plow straight ahead all on its own. Good for bias-ply tires that tend to wander everywhere.

Go for about 2 to 2 1/2 degrees positive caster, 1/4 to 1/2 degree negative camber, and 1/8" to 1/4" toe-in. If your alignment guy can go even more on the caster (more positive that is)... go for it. That's where you're going to get that crisp turn-in feeling.

Oh, positive caster is where the top of the spindle points towards the rear of the car, negative points forward. Negative camber points the top of the spindle towards the frame -- positive outwards.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has power steering and the staibilsers of the SS.

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
X2 on SSR71's specs except for the toe. Keep it tighter toward 0, just a little toe in with the radials. Toe is is to allow for flex outward because of rolling resistance and a properly inflated radial has very little so the flex is reduced. A 1/16th toe in would still be fine. The ideal toe in would have the tires at 0 toe when running down the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts