El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
replaced front wheel bearings in 71 elcamino, my question is, when installing the castle nut, i tightened it down snug, around 10-12 pounds, spun the rotor to seat the bearings , then loosened and went finger tight ,i have to back off a little to get the cotter pin in this leaves the rotor slightly loose , when i put the wheel back on and grab it at 12 and 6 oclock i still get some play, enough where you can hear and see the rotor moving on the spindle, if i tighten to the next hole in spindle ,around 6 ft pounds, the play is gone, should i leave it slightly loose with the end play or tighten to next hole and have no endplay but small preload on bearing, actually if there were a third hole in between the the 2 spindle holes it would be perfect, but theres not ,what would you do???????????

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
tighten it to the next pin location---the bearings are tapered and need a little preload otherwise when the wheels bounce the bearings get huge shock loads and can break.....Dan

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Go to the next tighter setting..

I get the breaker bar and tighten it up pretty tight to set everything, then loosen and tighten by hand.. In 50 years never had an issue.. Always use Timkin bearings..

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Go to the next tighter setting..

I get the breaker bar and tighten it up pretty tight to set everything, then loosen and tighten by hand.. In 50 years never had an issue.. Always use Timkin bearings..
X2, pretty much exactly the way I've done them for 40 some odd years with no issues!

Joe

·
Registered
892 Posts
Adjustment
1. Remove hub cap or wheel disc from wheel.
2. Remove dust cap from hub.
3. Remove cotter pin from spindle and spindle nut.
4. Tighten the spindle nut to 16 N*m (12 ft. lbs.) while turning the wheel assembly forward by hand to fully seat the bearings. This will remove any grease or burrs which could cause excessive wheel bearing play later. (SeeFig.3C-2).
5. Back off the nut to the "just loose" position.
6. Hand tighten the spindle nut. Loosen spindle nut until
either hole in the spindle lines up with a slot in the nut. (Not more than 1/2 flat).

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
A bit of caution is needed here. When parts heat up they expand. If you tighten the castle nut past hand tight the bearings will have too little clearance at normal operating temperature and wear prematurely at best. At worse, they could overheat bind and seize.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Going to the next loose hole came from the ball bearing era, with rollers you want to go to the next tighter hole..

I've already seen them tightened like a regular bolt and still survived, a little blue but they made it..

I use Kendall synthetic blue grease.. Just a little. Too much grease will cause drag and extra friction..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts