El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought some 16 inch iroc rims off of craigslist..6 inch offset...wont fit in the back without rubbing...any suggestions on where i might find 1 inch spacers....maybe someone has some laying around they would like to offload?

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,081 Posts
I've always heard that spacers in excess of 1/4" or so in thickness are considered unsafe because of the excessive side loading of the studs, and that instead, adapters should be used for greater dimensions like 1".

For hubcentric wheels the actual load on the wheel is carried at the hub, and the studs merely hold the wheel and take perhaps some side load due to rotation. However you lose that hub when you space out super far, requiring the studs to not only handle vertical loads, but rotational and tension loads all at once.

If you have a spacer however that retains the hub centricity it might be ok I guess.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
..hmmm i can actually get the tires on and bolted down...they are absolutely on the frame tho....what do you think the minimum thickness spacer is that i can use?

·
Registered
257 Posts
what size r the tires that there rubbing or is it the rim, so my Q? is still the same how wide is the rim. i only ask cuz my back rimz r 15/10 and tire size is 295/50/15 and they dont touch the frame. there cant b that much diff. from a 15 to 16 can there?:dontknow:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I am using 3/8 spacers on the rear wheels for inner clearance.I suggest you pay a little more for billet machined spacers.The cast al ones tend to wear requiring regular retorquing of my rear wheels.Pain!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tried the fronts on the rear...still touching the frame they are pretty wide...numbers on the back side of the rear rims are 16x8x16..fronts fit but they rub if i turn the wheel all the way either direction...im trying to locate some hubcentric spacers but everything ive come across says will fit all the way back to 82 camino...thought it was same body style tho so they should work right?

·
Registered
589 Posts
tried the fronts on the rear...still touching the frame they are pretty wide...numbers on the back side of the rear rims are 16x8x16..fronts fit but they rub if i turn the wheel all the way either direction...im trying to locate some hubcentric spacers but everything ive come across says will fit all the way back to 82 camino...thought it was same body style tho so they should work right?

Running factory GM 16" IROC wheels is/was pretty common on G-bodies. You need four fronts to run without spacers. Aftermarket IROCs are simply four "fronts". Can't imagine why a "front" rim would rub your rear frame.

four 16" factory GM "fronts" on a G-body

Aftermarket 17" IROCs (same offset as factory 16" fronts)

Aftermarket 18" IROCs (same offset as factory 16" fronts)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im not sure...all i know is i seen them on craigs list and i was pretty sure myself that they would fit.. and they were cheap so i couldnt pass em up....didnt know that they were fronts and rears or the tire size on them....i do know i want them on there and i need to figure out how to make em fit

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have 235 60r 16s on the rear tires with a 1/4 rear spacer .Leaves about 1/4 inch between tire and frame. Tried some 50 /s 16 not gonna work. Got my lug nut s at discount tires.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ive been running spacers for years. I have a super gas s-10 that runs low 9s with billet 1/2 spacers, my nova, a 10.70 car has 3/4, defineately want billet. they are fine. I am a machinist by trade. I can cnc make you billetone any size. I can even make ones that will not show, contour the wheels. 1 in billet spacers round, $75 shipped, As shown, $100 shipped

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have 235 60r 16s on the rear tires with a 1/4 rear spacer .Leaves about 1/4 inch between tire and frame. Tried some 50 /s 16 not gonna work. Got my lug nut s at discount tires.

Those are 255-50-16s on the rear of the red car. Ran them for years. I did use 7/16" universal spacers just to push the tires out for appearance, but didn't need them for clearance.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Those are 255-50-16s on the rear of the red car. Ran them for years. I did use 7/16" universal spacers just to push the tires out for appearance, but didn't need them for clearance.
I am gonna mount my front on rearend to see how it.clearsthe frame. Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wit the IROC's as said b4 u need front rims maybe the person knew that n baught two set's n sold u the back one's?:secret: Just my thoughts on what the prob. Could b:dontknow:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm well the rears on the rear wont even let the car roll....and the fronts on the rear are still on the frame....any ideas why?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Just checked Kirban Performance. They have billet wheel adapters that are 1 2/16's thick (yes, it says 1 2/16's!) for mounting 16x8 GTA rear wheels on the Buick GN's. Be advised that they are EXPENSIVE and I couldn't tell (from the picture) if they had the hub extension.

Doug

1 - 20 of 25 Posts