El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I've been noticing a vibration at highway speeds. It's been getting worse and I can feel it thumping through the steering wheel, especially when turning. It felt like the left front area. It's gotten so bad that after my last highway trip I limped home doing 50 mph in a designated 65 zone. Of course I hogged the left lane the whole time (KIDDING!!!!!!! :poke:)

I could feel in in the steering wheel and my mind of course when to the big jobs like wheel bearings or ball joints. I tried the tire grab and twist but everything seemed okay. I also tried to jack the control arm up and look for play at the ball joint, but nothing definitive resulted.

Rather than jumping off the deep end with money and work, I decided the first thing I'd do is to rotate tires front to back to see if I feel a difference. I took my left front off first and could immediately see the attached. Can you see the problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! That tire is ready to blowout. This rubber is an accident waiting to happen. To make matters worse, it was on the front so steering would have been near impossible if and when it went.

There is plenty of tread left all on the tires, but I've been waiting for a reason to size my rubber down a bit as they are significantly oversized:

Front P225/70 R15 100S
Rear P275/60 R15 107S

It took some work at shimming and beefing up the rear suspension to keep from rubbing, but it is easy to say these tires are massive. I do like a beefy tire look, but I can also go a bit smaller. Time to start shopping. Any suggestions? I like the classic white letter muscle car beefy look. I'm running vintage 15" Z/28 or 71-72 SS Chevelle Five spoke rims.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tire separation. You have air between the steel belt and the rubber. Should be under warranty.
No warranty here, Sandbird. These tires where on the Camino when I bought it. And YES, I am lucky!

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,462 Posts
Check the date on your other three tires.
These were new when I bought my Elky. Turns out they were 10+ years old.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
511 Posts
I agree with centex, looks like an old tire that has started to dry rot. Had a similar problem with my Tahoe, had plenty of tread but the tires were over five years old.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm going to guess that if you checked the date code on that tire, it's something like 12 years old. Lots of places won't work on any tires more than 6 years old.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I'm going to guess that if you checked the date code on that tire, it's something like 12 years old. Lots of places won't work on any tires more than 6 years old.
Ha.
My 85 sold last year with BFG radials I put on it in 1995. Still had lots of tread and were holding air. :Llol:
Just sayin.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,103 Posts
Be happy you made it home in one piece. Ignoring the problem would have been a disaster.:biggrin:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heya, aeilenstein.

You're not the only one. I'm running 225/70s up front & 275/60s in the back and I needed to use shim plates in order to clear the inner fenders. That rubber FILLS the well. Maybe I could go 215/70s all around (I'd like to be able to rotate.) They are a tad smaller and I know they would clear. With the 275/60 in the back I need heavy duty progressive rear springs AND coil over shocks for when I'm hauling a load. It works well, but the ride is harsh when the bed's empty.

Large (but slightly smaller than I've been running) and consistent sized tires all around would solve a few problems and I'd get to rotate them. Woot.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm currently talking with a friend who had a 5th Gen Malibu sedan with 245/60-15s on all four corners. I know the rears would fit fine (and I can switch back to standard shocks and not coil-overs for loads.) But I question if the fronts would rub. I need to see if my rims are the standard 15x8 Z/28 rims I think they are. Maybe the lower sidewall of the 245/60 does the trick. By my calculations it's 10.5cm shorter than the 225/70.

Anyone else run 245/60-15?

·
Deputy National Director
9,854 Posts
Anyone else run 245/60-15?
Yes I have them On my 87. Get a rub (Not often) when I hit a big dip But I do have the original front springs. Maybe New springs will fix it ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Me, too.

I'm running 225/70 15's also. I do get rub at wheel lock both left and right. Since the tires are so new, I really can't see changing them right now and my mechanic said that as long as I could stand a little rub noise from time to time, just wear them out and then downsize. They do not appear to be tearing anything up in the wheel well, just scrubbing a little.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I've made my decision:

BF Goodrich Radial T/A - 235/60-15
They are a touch smaller than I can ultimately use, but the choice finally came down to price and availability. They are readily available locally and can be installed as early as this Sunday through a chain like NTB and they end up being $10~15 cheaper per tire (need four.). The true difference between the 245/60 and the 235/60 is incredibly negligible:

245/60 = 9.65" wide x 26.6" tall (with rim)
235/60 = 9.25" wide x 26.1" tall (with rim)

So I'll go the path of ease/comfort over dogma of what the maximum size that will fit. I'm pretty sure I will love the look/feel regardless.

Oh! And have I mentioned that they are the same brand that I'm currently running and I will have them installed so that I appear as raised white letters, ala classic muscle car? Joy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts