El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday a DC taxi cab driver ruined my day and the previously arrow straight body of my 1980 Camino. On a tight one-way street, with cars parked on both sides, I was brought to a sudden halt by the sound of rending metal. The cab driver had opened his door to traffic and I caught the door with the very tip of my front fender.

The damage:
headlight trim shattered (but headlight is okay)
right fender crumpled, but not as badly as I would have imagined
right door scratched and dented
right side mirror smashed
right quarters minor scratches as best i can see.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...bite em back harder!

My only consolation is that I made his day so much worse. He had to be towed away as his left door was completely shredded and bent back flat against his fender. He could try to close it but it would only go as far as what is shown below. His work day was OVER and for a while, too.

Aside from my initial outburst of "Are you freaking kidding me????" tempers were calm and we quietly exchanged information.

Speeds were below 15mph and no one was injured. Given the violence involved, I'm surprised that my damage wasn't greater.

Attachments

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,381 Posts
..well,at least you can say, "I just blew the doors off of a Toyota"..:poke::poke:
..glad no one was hurt..:beer::beer:
:beer:

·
6,381 Posts
ouch man, that sucks. also looks good and expensive...
..yeah, for the Taxi company,I wonder if he would do that again,or lost his job over this..:dontknow:
..on the other hand, you get your Elky back the way it was before the acceindent..:nanawrench:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
..yeah, for the Taxi company,I wonder if he would do that again,or lost his job over this..:dontknow:
He is an independent driver. That was HIS cab. I'm sure that this will be a huge financial burden for him... That's the price of carelessness.

..on the other hand, you get your Elky back the way it was before the acceindent..:nanawrench:
Just found an NOS fender and not for the price of my left kidney! :nanawrench:

The side mirror is a shame, but I've had a remote right side mirror for a long while now that I've been meaning to install. I'm going to look into door skins to see what's involved.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
He is an independent driver. That was HIS cab. I'm sure that this will be a huge financial burden for him... That's the price of carelessness.

Just found an NOS fender and not for the price of my left kidney! :nanawrench:

The side mirror is a shame, but I've had a remote right side mirror for a long while now that I've been meaning to install. I'm going to look into door skins to see what's involved.
You can get whole door shell for not much more $$$ than the skin.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Step One - Gather Parts

Hey all,

This weekend I picked up a great find: NOS GM Fender! I checked Chevelles.com on a whim and found a guy was selling this piece about 30 miles away from me! Meant to be.

Ordered and coming from eBay: a pretty nice pair of the plastic headlight trim and a pair of the plastic turn signal lens/housings. Mine were pretty faded so I'm happy to replace both.

Still need to head to a junk yard for door and get an estimate to complete the insurance aspect of this. Maybe I'll FINALLY get the whole exterior painted because of this mess.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Glory Days up here in Clarksville has a '79 in their yard. Might have what you need.http://www.glorydaysautosalvage.com/
THANKS MAN! I have been planning a trip up to Glory Days, now I'll definitely going up this weekend.

Would that 79 be a Malibu? I was there last year and got a 200-4R crossmember off a Monte and poked around a Malibu with a black interior.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So, why are you doing all of this?
You get to pick the body shop....and approve the parts....
People asked similar questions when I posted about rebuilding/shimming my HEI saying Skip White units are only $50. In the end I now know more than I previously did. I've been able to find untapped/wasted power on my tiny V6. What was previously a dog of an engine is now acceptable for the around town work I need it to perform. I could say I saved $30 dollars by rebuilding it myself, but it could be argued that I saved a whole lot more projecting down the road to every other car I will own. In that light, the knowledge gained is immeasurable.

In this instance, I'm doing this because I want to KNOW what I have and how it was done. A body shop won't take the time to hunt for great deals or even real GM parts necessarily. Most are looking for turnover. In and out the door, crank it out. With a modest amount of effort to hunt for the parts, a task that I actually enjoy, and then personally install those parts, another task I enjoy, I may save enough to make the possibility of a nice paint job a cheap reality. No more black primer.

This unexpected event gives me a reason to try to bump a dent out, try to weld a patch, whatever. I have a Chevelle that needs rear wheel well work, and I'd like to try it myself. I can be made stronger by this unhappy event if I try.

But as I always say, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry for your mishap, but I'm diggin' your wheels...
Thanks, man. I'm assuming you mean the actual round things I roll on and not in the "total vehicle" sense. A bone stock 229 V6 in black primer isn't the sexiest thing out there. :dontknow:

The rims are 71~72 Chevelle SS or 70~7? Z28 Camaro rims. I scrounged up a set of Z28 centercaps (2 old script style, 2 new script style). I do like the fat tire look, though this rubber is a tad-bit oversize. I need spacers and heavy duty suspension or I'll rub.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Way to GO!!!

Sounds to me as if you're making lemonade out of the lemons you have been dealt. WAY TO GO! I've always admonished my kids to strive for all the knowledge they could attain. Knowledge is something NO ONE can ever take away from you!................................Ken :dontknow:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Junkyard Day!!!!!

Hello all,

Today was a glorious day to roam around two junk yards. Though I didn't have much luck at my first stop of the day, I hit some great pay dirt at the second. I was looking for a door to replace the one that was boogered by the cab. What I found is a 1981 El Camino in pretty decent shape!!!! Though the passenger side door was pretty well trashed it had a host of other things I've been looking for though:

L & R headlight trim. I'd just bought a set off eBay, now I have another set.
L & R Front wheel well trim (non-two tone). Some dings, nice start though.
L & R washer nozzles. Surprisingly hard to find.
L & R rear taillight housings. Could use a polishing, but very sound.
Rear bed moulding. Full perimeter. Corners have minor pitting but they have their tabs.
Rear Glass moulding. Full set.
A/C line - condenser to accumulator. Single piece all metal tube!!! No bends, no kinks. Been looking a LONG TIME!!!!!
A/C compressor line set - will have a shop use it as a template to fab up a fresh replaement.
A/C Compressor - A4. While I rebuilt one a while ago (have yet to try it) I thought an unmolested unit would be good to have around.

I'm considering going back for the rear bumper, which was in decent shape.

Fun day! Expensive, too.

·
6,381 Posts
....and, you're keeping track on how much this stuff cost..Right???..is the Taxi company going to reinburst ??..:dontknow:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.