El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find any reference as to how thick (thin) should your rear brake shoes and drums be when you replace them . Chances are if I am asking this question they need to be replaced but I can seem to find a new measurement size either to compare too. Anyone got a link or know these measurements ?

Thanks Chris

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
The maximum drum diameter should be cast into it. If not a general rule of thumb is 0.040" and you need to replace the drum. The thinnest spot on the lining should not be under 1/8" and if that thin they definitely need replacing.

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 464elky ,the rear drums are .358 inch (9.1mm) and .343 inch (8.71mm) .The shoes I figured needed replacing as they were .19 inch (4.82 mm) and .18 inch (4.57mm) on the thinner sides .

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
a 9 in drum can go 60 thou and the shoes should be changed at 3/16. at the min 1/16 over the rivet head

·
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
40 or 60 thousands would be as thick as a dime , I could be wrong but that sounds`like it would be way too thin ,maybe I am measuring differently .If I am measuring the right way the thickness of my drums are just over a 1/3rd of an inch which a lot more then a dime width.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
no you misunderstand what that means. it means the max inside dia. is 9.060. you can only safely remove 60 thou from new

1 - 8 of 8 Posts