El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE HELP!! can anyone tell me where you can find restoration parts(interior & exterior) for my 1974 El Camino Classic? I'm having an extremely hard time finding vendors of the 73-77 restoration parts. It's like GM wants nothing to do with those years, they act almost as if they dont exist. They wont help us, maybe you can. If you have any info whatsoever (i.e. catalogs, shops, sites, vendors) please contact me. [email protected] (when emailing please set subject as elky info) Thanks.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Welcome to ECC/NECOA Brandon. I sent you an email, but just in case you get this first.....

A '74 Elky? Great. I am a big fan of the 4th generation El Camino's. You're 100% correct in your frustration of finding parts. Most of the reproduction company's have mostly forgotten the '73-'77 models. I'm starting to see some minor parts in the catalogs, but they are few and far between.

I used to have a 3rd gen Elky and finding those parts was a walk in the park compared to finding 4th gen parts.

O.K., but here are my suggestions:
Keep looking on El Camino Central, in the classified section for parts. I think there is one or two guys parting out some 4th gen's.

Get all the catalogs from the site sponsors at: ECC sponsor page

Look in the back of a "Super Chevy" or "Hemmings" magazines for vendors. You might have to call to get their catalogs.

Look in the junk yards for a parts vehicle. The 4th gens sold the most vehicles, so there should be some left.

And of course, eBay. Have you tried or have purchased parts off of eBay? What I do for my eBay search is this. Because a lot of interior parts are the same for Malibu's and Chevelle's, I'll search for 1973 Malibu, then 73 Malibu, 1973 Chevelle, 73 Chevelle, 1973 El Camino, and 73 El Camino. If you do a search on eBay for "73 el camino" right now, there are a bunch of interior parts for sale. You will have to look real careful, but maybe there is something there you can use.

Post some pictures of your Elky on ECC. This will help others see exactly what your needs are. Plus, it will show your progress as you restore your El Camino.

Also, get in touch with the ECC regional director for FL. to ask for some local help. His name is Peter O’Rourke , goes by the ECC ID of "r-59" and his email is [email protected] . I am the regional director for the New England area and I encourage all my regional members to use me as a resource to keep in contact with other regional members. So, Peter should not mind that you email him for help. I would also update your ECC profile to list your town and state. It is not a requirement for becoming a member, but if someone has a part and is close to you, it would be easier to know that.

Hope it helps.

Jay

·
Registered
8 Posts
another 73 camino

hi,

this is the really problem for me in germany. finding parts for the 73.
i cant go to junkyards because there isnt something like that. why they are ignore the 4. gen?????

cheers brian

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Call The El Camino Store or write and ask for "Rick". Let him know what your looking for and where you are. If it can be found I think he will find it and those guys are good for their word. I am not saying it's going to be the cheapest place but the best place I know of to locate hard to get 4th gen parts and you have to call or write them because a lot of stuff they can get is not in their catalog, its used.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agreed! nearly impossible to find aftermarket parts for that car, If I had known I would not have purchased my 74 Elky. There's no trim, rubber, dash parts etc. I'm so sad :(

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
And in 25 days will be exactly 15 years since the previous post and still hard to find 4th gen parts! The up-side is one day the 4th gen's will probably be harder to find and possibly worth more than the 3rd gen another 15 years from now!

Joe

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,606 Posts
Lol, I guess it depends on what your looking for, I’ve never had any issue finding parts but I also was never trying to restore my 73 as you can see.

what parts are you looking for?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts