El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title sums it up.

One of my scores of projects for my ‘68 has been to get the wiring all sorted out. Today I managed to get the wiper/washer motor working. But I’ve got 1/4” spade terminals on each wire going to the motor, as the three-terminal harness isn’t there.

I scoured the ‘net for a few hours looking for the correct plug, but have been striking out.

Any clues where I might be able to source one of these plugs that I can splice into my stock wiring?

Thanks,

Tom.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I did see that Camaro assembly at Classic Industries, but was hoping to find just the three-position plug all by itself rather than having to spend $30.00 on an entire harness. But I may have to resort to that.

The thought of crawling through salvage yards for a 50-year-old connector doesn’t appeal to me. Seems as if all the yards here in my area only keep cars within about 20 years old.

I’m shocked that some of the electrical suppliers seem to stock a thousand plugs for GM cars, but not that elusive plug.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2,139 Posts
Tom,

If you are asking about the wiper motor pig tail, you might find it is part of the engine harness. If that is the case, the pig tail may not be sold separately.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom,

If you are asking about the wiper motor pig tail, you might find it is part of the engine harness. If that is the case, the pig tail may not be sold separately.
Yeah... I certainly can buy an entire harness, but it seems like overkill. And it seems as if every other plug under the hood is available out there. Worst case is that I’m thinking of measuring the spacing of the voltage regulator harness and if it’s the same, just pick up a pigtail for that and cut one lug off of it. Actually, that’s the second-worst case. I could just tape up the spade terminals in a way to keep them oriented correctly and put my OCD in the drawer. :smile3:

Back out to the garage....

Thank you.
Tom

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not sure if a 68 harness uses the same harness as a 72. I took my old plastic terminal covers (some from parts cars or old harnesses) and crimped in new Packard-56 terminals from Waytek.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah... you know... I think I can’t find it because it doesn’t exist. It looks like it’s supposed to be a double plus a single instead of a triple. I called a friend today with a ‘68 Malibu. Although his doesn’t have hidden wipers, it’s still a three-wire system: Two plus one.

D’Oh!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Title sums it up.

One of my scores of projects for my ‘68 has been to get the wiring all sorted out. Today I managed to get the wiper/washer motor working.
I'm getting ready to tackle the same issue with my 68. Previous owner didn't have the wiper motor wired so i'm starting from scratch. Any tips before I start disassembling the dash looking for solutions?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm getting ready to tackle the same issue with my 68. Previous owner didn't have the wiper motor wired so i'm starting from scratch. Any tips before I start disassembling the dash looking for solutions?

thanks!
I never did find the proper plug, but I did sort out the wiring. A friend has a ‘68 also, but without the hidden wipers. Turns out they are completely different motors and switches. This is a picture of mine wired up with the hidden wipers.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
That helps! Thank you.:rockon:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks like i'll be starting from scratch with the wiring. I peeked up into the dash from underneath and couldn't see any wires coming down from the wiper switch. looks like that didn't get addressed when the PO wired up the dash. I've got to remove the dash to get the new heater head/cables and heater core installed so i'll tack that on to the list. looking for a schematic of the switch diagram...can't find it in the manual.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Found my wires for the wiper motor! They were disconnected and tucked into the fender well area. Unfortunately, they are spade terminals not the Packard 56 stock configuration. They are also all black which doesn't help with the ease of wire placement on the motor and pump. I see on your pic that the yellow wire is the same on the left side of the pump connection and the middle on the wiper motor. I have that part figured out on mine. I used my multimeter to ring out the wiper switch position and corresponding wires, but can't find a wiring diagram for switch to motor wiring. Still looking. Also, since i'm new here, i'm having a problem viewing other posts' photobucket pictures....not that might help some if I can get that figured out!

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think as long as you have the power to the center of the motor everything else can be done through trial & error without any risk of damage. I've seen the pump wired with the power on opposite sides in several places. The pump electrical is nothing more than a solenoid which retracts an arm and allows the wiper motor to engage the pump mechanism. I've tried wiring mine both ways and it works either way. I'm not sure what the "correct" way is though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts