El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My intention is to install a Ford solenoid on 85 EC with the fusible links being moved to the Ford solenoid (battery side) and the starter side of solenoid being wired for the starter with 1/0 cable and a 10 gauge wire to the solenoid atop the starter (the "GM Starter"). My question is where should I locate the Ford solenoid. I would prefer the Ford solenoid close to the battery and not on the firewall. I would prefer the Ford solenoid not be installed on the fender-well. I have looked at installing the Ford solenoid on the inside of the fender but it does not appear that I have sufficient clearance. I am looking for input on where to locate the Ford solenoid. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer the Ford solenoid for the following reasons:

1.) Preventing heat soak issues with starter;

2.) Battery cable to starter is only hot when starter is being engaged;

3.) Fusible links are more accessible for service;

4.) Easier to use remote starter to roll engine when doing maintenance, testing, etc.; and

5.) IMHO I think it looks cleaner.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of my concerns is that the Ford solenoid may make my EC easier to steal. On the other hand, if a person knows how to power an HEI with a battery lead and how to break open the harness for the starter wire then you end up with the same result. Is the theft angle something that I should be considering seriously in determining where to site the Ford solenoid. I like the idea of the solenoid being on the fender behind the coolant tank but its very visible. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
If someone wants to steal it bad enough, just consider it stolen. Break a window, put in neutral, take off brake, and drag it onto a flat bed, or lift enough to put tow wheels under it. To probably answer your question, use a battery cut-off switch in a hidden spot. Most thieves don't have tow trucks, they rely on driving it away. No power - kinda hard to do.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
with the small new gear reduction starters heat soak is a thing of the past.and if still running the old 3510 style big starter you run the high torque one with the brown solenoid cap and you dont have heat soak issues either, the solenoids with the brown caps are high heat solenoids .as far as making it easier to service/crank the engine from under the hood there are several cleaner options.i use a external crank connector.it is a weatherpak fuse holder you find on a lot of modern cars.one wire is hot and one to the crank terminal.works fine and no one knows the better.it has a mounting tab and can be screwed to anything. as for the fuasble links i always move them to the back of the alternator to make them accesable and run a 4 gauge wire from the alt to the battery. more connections between the battery and starter give you more places to be an issue with power losses and bad connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts