El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 84' Camino for a little while now but have never progressed past exterior upgrades (like a paint job). Since making a cross country trip I'm without any of the mechanics I trusted before and am now at the point where I want to give my elky a healthy upgrade, mostly in overall performance. I've got a K&N filter in there, but I'm hardly a gear head and don't really know where to start in terms of adding the right kind of parts. I'd like to see higher hp and some sound from the exhaust, but I'm not a point to spend a ton of money either.

Just some simple advice to get me started would do. Thanks!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Pep boys carries headders called Dynamax. they have some full length headders specifically for G-bodies. for around $130 with all the hardware all youde need to buy is a stick of exhaust, a pair of mufflers (the summit brand flowmaster knockoffs are under $100) and turndowns you can build a pretty decent exhaust system prettty cheap. if you live in an area that requires smog testing you can get high flow cats and still be legal.

upgrade the ignition. MSd makes good coils for under $100.
put a good set of plug wires and a little hotter spark plug (i prefer Ac delco R45TS plugs myself)
go a little overkill on your aircleaner, the biggetr the better, as long as itll still clear stuff and the hood will still close. (im running a 14 inch around and 5 inch tall aircleaner lol)

·
Supporting Member
4,441 Posts
cromwell, looks like yo are in CA. Smog laws there are pretty strict, limiting what you can do. Other's from CA can chime in, but here's a couple of suggestions:
1) Edelbrock TES headers ( Smog Legal)
2) Keep all the smog / CCC parts
3) Upgrade the rear to 3.23 or 3.42 gears. Easiest way to do this is to find a rear from a 78-85 MonteCarlo SS. Direct Bolt In. This one change will make it feel like a 350 has been installed!
4) An electric fan will give you a few ponies back over the stock mechanical fan.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks for the help! That's definitely the direction I was looking for. I'll keep an eye out for 3.23 or 3.42 gears, as well as headers and the air cleaner.

Thanks again for the help. Any other suggestions are still welcome. :nanawrench:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts