El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as anyone with 200,000+ mile engine does (I hope), I frequently check my fluids. Since the swap, I've had troubles with trans fluid, coolant, and brake fluid but the oil has always remained extremely clean and at the right level. Well =, I checked it today for the first time in maybe a week and not only was it black, but it was over a quart low. I checked all over the engine and the filter. No traces of leaking anywhere. I havn't noticed any smoke from the exhaust other then a little bit of white smoke when it starts after sitting for a day or two. But that smoke seems very white no blue tint to it. Oil pressure stays very constant, only increasing a little upon acceleration. So, anyone know what happened? I am do for a change but I don't think that explains the sudden blackness or the lost oil.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't have a clue. I would keep a close look at it though. Change the oil and filter and take it for a short drive, like 10 miles and then check the oil. If everything looks good then I really don't know what to say.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,294 Posts
One checking could be an anomoly, keep an eye on it over the next few months, losing a quart in a motor with that many miles is hardly uncommon. In the end though there are only two options, if you oil is consistantly low at check intervals its either on the floorof your garage/road or its coming out the tailpipes. Those are your only two options.

It is possible to burn oil slow enough that no visible smoke is made.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.