El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm upgrading from idiot lights to gauges on my '77 350 4bl. The manual says there should be a plug for the temp sensor on the left (driver side) head. Someone stole my hole!!!! the switch is on the thermostat housing but where does the gauge sensor go?
One other question, (for now anyway) which printed circuit board connector tab leads to the temp sensor since I'm not sure the harness has a designated wire to go from the printed circuit to the sensor. I imagine I will have to generate my own wire from the 17 tab PC connector sight.
I'll send up a photo later tonight of the pc plug sight

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is the temp. sensor, between spark plug 1 and 3, the shiny thing :)

Looking at the dash, the connector to the original temp warning light
should be nr. 5 from the left, top row. You will probably have to draw
new cables anyway. My temp gauge has got three cables running to
it: Ground, 12 volt supply and signal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whooooooo Check out my assistance... even a photo.... I'm impressed. Now I have to go out and find my hole to put my new sensor. By the way, I hope, here is a photo of the pod connector. I am not sure how to get the connection from the printed circuit to the sensor, as I am not sure the old harness has a lead to connect. Well here goes, the new guy tries a new trick with the photo thing...

Whooo, a bit large but maybe you can see it better this way....(yeah, right!)
Now let me go find that "hole in my head"..... hmmmm

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darn!!! I'm more confused that I thought I was.... I checked out the switch/sensor you mentioned. I have one!!! No, not one of those..., but the switch on the front side of the left head... The old pod had only one gauge, fuel. it had an oil light, generator light, and a temp light. This engine currently has (as I bought it) one sensor on the thermostat housing (I figured this was temp light switch),and one sensor next to the distributor ( I figured this was oil light switch). Now I find this new one hidden under the A/C compressor on the front left head... all have leads that enter the firewall.
Do you think this thing already has all the sensors and wiring for the SS cluster just no gauges? Can you help me out figuring which switch is which? If I didn't feel so uninformed..... this would be funny
:oops: And no..... I have not always been an Alabamian, though right now, I'm not too sure Calif would want to claim me either... LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts