El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Chevrolet El Camino 305/350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I found what I think is the best looking grill and want one but idk where. Have a look on YouTube type in G Force Performance 1983 El Camino SS, Resto-Mod! Beautiful Results!
It was published on Oct 22 2010.
The grill is narrow not like the stock flat brick wall look like my 1980 which is ok but the one on YouTube is modern, narrow and simple and flows with front bumper very right on imo. The comments are turned off there and I can't find any one online to match maybe someone here knows. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hello, yes that's it and haven't seen another. Probably lowering it helps so I'll be studying it. I'd like to box the bed rails and tailgate removing chrome trim. I'm looking into removing the quarter windows also like the early 70s.. I'm into light weight instead of carrying a spare tire it's plugs and air pump.. only 1 plug needed in 3 years. So fiberglass front n rear bumpers would reduce weight and no tailgate for me..wrap the inside corners nicely no seams in the back.
Would rather chop the top and bed rails an inch or so..even shorten the bed by a couple inches or so as Elcos look a little too long for me.. easier said than done right.
Right now I'm building a 350 and have all new A/C thanks to YouTube videos as I do flooring with no engine/body experience that's changing just need time/money. I'll be studying this site and how it works got to go to work thanks again good day.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,630 Posts
the video does look a little squashed vertically so I think that's part of it. the other part is the bumper tucking done. you can see my '86 grille below has the same number of rows

have you tried contacting the company for info about this customers car?

CROSSMEMBERS G FORCE
330-753-5300
847 Pier Dr.
Akron, OH 44307

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Hood Grille

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,222 Posts
Same grill, just de-chromed and painted, along with the headlight buckets edging. It just looks slimmer due to the bad resolution of the vid squashing the car, and the grill blending into the hood lines etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hello, I haven't contacted them but I see what you're saying and get it and the headlight buckets edging..it has to be done.
So that is an original grill and tucked bumper and sides. probably a fresh simple aftermarket bumper..I like. The header panel is the thing.. looks a different piece but I see the hood, header panel and top grill is painted the same and makes the front and grill area look narrow squashed I was thinking 1/2 too squashed but na it's fine and easy work..paint them..I like it. But I have an 80 front grill least I've finally found and know how to do the bumpers just got to get rid of the originals I'm eager to hurry it up and get it done.
I wonder if anyone has ever filled in the quarter windows like the early 70's Elcos I think that would look good too..with boxed bed rails.. delete all chrome trim and rear side markers.
Ok got to go to the new members area and fill in the info and stuff.. see you later thanks very much.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,630 Posts
Hello, I haven't contacted them but I see what you're saying and get it and the headlight buckets edging..it has to be done.
So that is an original grill and tucked bumper and sides. probably a fresh simple aftermarket bumper..I like. The header panel is the thing.. looks a different piece but I see the hood, header panel and top grill is painted the same and makes the front and grill area look narrow squashed I was thinking 1/2 too squashed but na it's fine and easy work..paint them..I like it. But I have an 80 front grill least I've finally found and know how to do the bumpers just got to get rid of the originals I'm eager to hurry it up and get it done.
I wonder if anyone has ever filled in the quarter windows like the early 70's Elcos I think that would look good too..with boxed bed rails.. delete all chrome trim and rear side markers.
quarter window fill has been done by a member here IIRC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks man I haven't even looked anywhere yet.. speaking before I (think) search. Hope it looks terrible so I can skip that work but I doubt it will see.
Update..looked online and flicker/joe leleux the black one..yea that looks good like a classic..a man Elco..Fast, Tough, Serious. Then I saw another is black like Camaro front end with 4 hole intake and the hood slides back..
Oh Good God that's AMAZING! The promise land.

·
Super Moderator
5,909 Posts
Just one step in the total process. Fitting the wide body rear fender panels. Made, not bought.
No quarter window was a previous modification.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
To fill in the quarter window, you first need to delete the driprail, which is normal process on older musclecars, Cut , weld back together, & bodywork. Then the area around the old quarter window needs to be cutout so the new sheet metal can be butt welded back in place. The new sheet metal filler has compound curves, so I made a hardwood buck to form the metal over. Spotwelding the seams back together has to be done very gradually to not warp the metal. I still need to make some sort of trim piece to go up to the weatherstrip and put new ws, as I trimmed it for the previous flush glaze glass I did.
To date, I haven't had time to work on the elky in about 2.5 years and haven/ won't start on driver side metal till pass side gets final bodywork & paint..
Widebody& raised rear quarters | Page 8 | El Camino Central Forum
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
16 Posts
To fill in the quarter window, you first need to delete the driprail, which is normal process on older musclecars, Cut , weld back together, & bodywork. Then the area around the old quarter window needs to be cutout so the new sheet metal can be butt welded back in place. The new sheet metal filler has compound curves, so I made a hardwood buck to form the metal over. Spotwelding the seams back together has to be done very gradually to not warp the metal. I still need to make some sort of trim piece to go up to the weatherstrip and put new ws, as I trimmed it for the previous flush glaze glass I did.
To date, I haven't had time to work on the elky in about 2.5 years and haven/ won't start on driver side metal till pass side gets final bodywork & paint..
Widebody& raised rear quarters | Page 8 | El Camino Central Forum
View attachment 149425
View attachment 149422 View attachment 149424
I've never seen that done.
Love it!
When I ever get to body work, I'm doing that.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I've only recently seen another, which was posted here . No clue who built or owns it, etc. I'm assuming it just got done with a 2010 camaro nose, where I changed to a 2016 nose because a vehicle full of detail work takes so long to do.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

You do need decent gas mig welder & skills as well as some sheet metal tools and very good metal working skills to get this done.
Sometimes less caring is good, as in I don't care if I've done a specific task before, as long as I can see it work out in my head I can usually get there. But this is not something to jump into without enough previous similar experience. 20 gauge factory galvanized sheet metal is no fun to weld to, particularly with no backside access. I used metal cut from 18 gauge commercial building steel doors for my material.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts