El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a friend if I should rebuild my carb and he said don't bother unless it's something special and that I should just fork out $300 and get something good. I'm not opposed to spending the money but would like some feedback from you all as to what I should buy. My ca...errr....truck has a 350 and an Edelbrock intake and Edelbrock air cleaner if that matters. Probably won't do it until next year (getting ready to store the car for the Maine winter) but it will give me all winter to shop for one and dream for the day that the snow goes away.

·
Registered
314 Posts
if your looking for an every day driver carb, you should get an edelbrock q-jet, they're 795cfm, the first barrels are small, and the secondaries are alot bigger. this helps you get good gas mileage, but still have performance

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I agree with the Q-Jet if it is tuned correctly, they are finicky little devils but when they are on they are really good carbs. You can, here in Texas anyway, get a good Holley 650 from Pep Boys, if you have them where you are. They will run you about 250 or so.

Holley’s have tons of parts and jets and all sorts of aftermarket additions you can get to match them perfectly to your engine/ driving habits. I have the Edelbrock carb it is a 750 and really, I am un-impressed. It is alright but I really don't care for "Alright" I like great or fantastic.

Just my $0.02 worth.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
I like my "alright" :) Edelbrock Performance 650. You can find them on sale at Pep Boys, etc., for around the same price as the Holly. $250.

GM likes the Holly. That's what they provide on the crate 350 H.O. Deluxe engine.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
I personally prefer Q-Jets. If rebuilding one, here's a short list of things often overlooked:
Worn throttle shaft
Leaking well plugs
Broken or worn secondary needle cam
Leaking primary and/or secondary vacuum pull-pulls.

A Quad, built correctly, is quite impressive.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
which carb?

Any good after market carb will work unless you have one of those vehicles equipped with an electronic feedback carburetor with a Throttle Position Sensor. The Throttle Position Sensor sends a signal to the ECM when it is time for the torque converter to lockup. If you install an aftermarket unit, you will have to live without the lock-up torque converter engaging when the vehicle comes up to speed. An alternative for use with an aftermarket unit is to install a vacuum operated switch to operate the lock-up torque converter. Parts for this change over alone run about $78.00 and then there's the labor if you hire it done. If it were me, and the carb is an electronic feedback model that has a Throttle Position Sensor, I would get it rebuilt. Check it out before you make up your mind.

Good luck

·
Registered
314 Posts
oh yeah, and remember you'll need a different distributor if your going with a non-computer controlled engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I M H O would stick with the q-jet

kits come with great instructions .if it does not have wires connected to it. you can rebuild it yourself. hey its not rocket science, do this yourself. think back ,remember what your last mechanic looked like?

·
1,867 Posts
The edelbock 1806 was one of the best buys I have done for my 78. I have run quads for many, many years & the edelbrock is so much better IMO. When a quad is right ,it's pretty good but I had to rebuild it every year & half or so.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Does your 85 still have the computer and the CCC carburator (blue plug on the front PS of carb)? If it still have the computer then you are limited to just rebuilding it or replacing it with another CCC carburator. There are no direct aftermarket replacements for a CCC carb. If you want to go with an aftermarket carb, like Elky85 said, you'll need another distributor too.

I've rebuilt several of the CCC carbs and they worked quite well afterwards.

:mrgreen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts