El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 elky that I want to put duals on.I need to change my trans crossmember to a double hump type. I heard somone on this site say that you could use one off of a Ford Crown Vic. If this is true does anybody know what years will work?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hey Doug, I dont think i like your attitude (on picture 6)about not letting a short person drive your car. I let one drive mine every day with zero problems...:poke:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the instruction. But that was not the answer to my question. My question was, which Ford LTD has a crossmember compatable with a G body. I know they sale them in the aftermarket for over200 dollars, but Im poor. I have to trole junckyards to modify my cruck.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
early to mid 90s. the ones the cops used for years.

:poke:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Hey Doug, I dont think i like your attitude (on picture 6)about not letting a short person drive your car. I let one drive mine every day with zero problems...:poke:
Oops! My bad! It was a post by Keyser Sose and I didn't give that fine gentleman the credit he deserves! Forgive me peeps!:poke:

Doug

·
Registered
11,510 Posts

I'm 6ft and single, so if a short person is driving my elkie, they stole it!

:secret:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I have some pics of the few mods you'll need to do to the crown vic crossmember. yell if you wanna see them.

basically, hold it up under the elkie and you'll see that you only need to trim about 1.5-2 inches off of each end of it to fit. is 2 inch dia tubing, looks like it grew there.

of course, mine actually did grow there, at the factory, cause my elkie is all stock.

would I lie? :dontknow: :littleangel: :secret:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
btw, I paid $3 for my crossmember at the recycling center. they are $10 at the salvage yards here.

:beer:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
the cutting off is to get rid of the extra width of the stock ferd Xmember. cut the same amount from each side to keep the trans mount centered, take a BFH and smash the ends flat for about 3 inches, and it will bolt right up, after you drill new holes in each end.

or you can stand about 3-4 ft away from your elkie and throw your credit card at it. up to you.

:poke: :dontknow:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Keyser,
I have some pics of the few mods you'll need to do to the crown vic crossmember. yell if you wanna see them.

Sure post the pics . Mid 90s Ford crown Vic . Thanks gonna try it.
Dakazman

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you have to modify a trans crossmember, use an original El Camino trans Crossmember, cut a 6" piece out of the driver's side, use the piece that's cut out, flip it over and modify the clearance, re-weld back in to strengthen it. I did it and it works great with my 327, headers and dual exhaust.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,776 Posts
If you have to modify a trans crossmember, use an original El Camino trans Crossmember, cut a 6" piece out of the driver's side, use the piece that's cut out, flip it over and modify the clearance, re-weld back in to strengthen it. I did it and it works great with my 327, headers and dual exhaust.

The crown vic crossmember is for people with out a welder, just cut to length, smash ends & drill holes & mount ! Did it to my 84

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just finished a mod to the original crossmember using my acetylene welder , but I forgot to buy a cutting tip nozzle so I used the welding tip to heat it up so I could mold it into shape

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts