El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
normally my Camino is an 350 CUI with 270Hp, but now he was in workshop some fixes. Needed was new engine mount kid.
So we ordered for 350 CUI as follow click.
Hmmm not workig to small not same like the old one. So looking for 400CUI ordered these one click and worked.
Now my question which size of small block I have. Found no eingine numbers on normal place behind altinator.
Only this on picture. Have anyone an idea?
Wood Orange Paint Brick Tints and shades

Greetings
René

·
Premium Member
6,028 Posts
Look on the sides of the block from front to back the 350 has 2 "freeze plugs" the 400 has 3.

·
Registered
1984 Conquista
642 Posts
Hi René ,

To get you familiar with automobile terminology and where things are under your hood. you might want to take trips in your region to old American car shows(or the European car show equivalent). make friends and starting asking questions about your Elky. i've seen many youtube videos of old american muscle car shows in Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Etc. The Netherlands might be a closer trip for you if your Elky can make it. Or European members on here might be able to help you as well.

This might be of some help:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
RENEK - This is a photo of a 400 CU IN harmonic balancer

400 balancer No

tice the deep groove that runs from the 1 O'clock to the 7 O'clock position. This groove is only on the 400 motors.

GM did some strange things with engine mounts in the 1960-70's time period. Some years they used 2 different mount setups, use whicever mount works for you.

·
Deputy Director Region 8
2,731 Posts
Greetings from central Ohio René,
Look on the back side left side of the engine block where the transmission bolts on to, to get the casting number. It is hard to read in the car but with a good shop light you can get it.
The 350 and 400 have the same motor mounts, I would guess someone returned the wrong mount and you got it. All small blocks are the same dimensions on the outside of the engine block. Like 464elky stated, most 400's have three freeze plugs, one will be behind the clam shell that bolts to the motor mount. Good luck with your ride!!
Matty man

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hello,
According the balancer must be a 350. But one freeze plug is behind the motor mount.
Number I found also. See pictures...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Orange Wood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Wood
Automotive tire Orange Wood Motor vehicle Tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Window Bumper Automotive lighting

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello,
The front block pad has T0316CJD
T is Tonowanda plant where it was cast
03 March
16 is March 16th
CJD I came up with 1971 350 with a 350 turbo automatic, 270 hp.
The casting number and date code on the rear of the block will verify it.
Matty man
Will check the rear number of the block soon, but is very dirt on this side....

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Do the other numbers match the VIN of your Elky?

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
1L is 1971 built in van nyes, calif plant and 182180 matches the last 6 numbers of your VIN.

I would have to say it's the original engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1L is 1971 built in van nyes, calif plant and 182180 matches the last 6 numbers of your VIN.

I would have to say it's the original engine.
Do you think this engine is first one fom the car???? But is in red colour means engine is changed or rebuilt....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So found another number driver side back...
Not sure what's happening with this number. She was under feeling 2 meters oil dirt. But not really to read...
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Orange Road surface

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,620 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts