El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm starting my senior year of school tomorrow. The current engine in my car was put in with 200,000+ miles on it. My thoughts were to put it in, have some fun with it this year and buy another car for a daily driver when I go to college. The cool thing is, the college I want to go to is Lincoln Tech in Denver Colorado. They have a program that allows for auto mechanics students to bring in their own vehicles for shop projects. I figure if I can save up some cash to put into it, I'll let the camino become a class project. We could all work on the engine, let the body guys practice by painting it, etc. The only help I'd need is deciding on an engine for the project. Keep in mind the car will be built to drive almost daily, but not as a commuter. Gas mileage and things like AC, heater, and quiet exhaust will not be an issue. So here are my ideas that I've had so far:

350 crate engine: The good old 350, pretty much buy one that's turn-key ready and put it in how it comes from GM. The most mild of the options.

454 Vortec: Not even sure if this would work but its something I think would be cool. Basicly, I'd pull a 454 Vrotec motor from a 1 ton chevy truck and go all out with it. Convert it to carb setup, cam, bore, re work the heads, and have nice supercharger to sit on top of it all.

572 big block: This option would probably only work if I somehow struck gold in my backyard to pay for it. The idea here would be to buy a 572 from Goodwrench crate engines, and cram it into my car.

Obviously I know some or all of these options would require suspension, transmission, and rear end work to make them work in my car. Consider all of that a package deal with each engine. So, if this was your guy's car, which one would you choose?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
If gas mileage isnt an issue, go big block.

If you find the gold in your back yard its mine.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Crate 350 260hp long block proven to be the work horse I paid $1469.00 delivered 3-year 100,000 mi. factory warranty can't lose with this.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
...anybody can install an engine,be differnt,build your own engine,thats why you went to skool for..Right.???:dontknow:
:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
That's an awful big difference on engine ideas --- mildest 350 to a blown 572.
If you don't already have a 350 in the car, buy a rebuildable one and rebuild it in the class.

As has already been stated, anybody can drop a crate engine in, but what did you learn?
Imagine the knowledge you'd get from learning from a professional how to build YOUR OWN engine, not to mention the bragging rights.

Jack

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys do make a good point. Maybe I will build one. I still don't know for sure which one though. I've only ever dealt with small blocks. Pretty sure I could have a 350 or 383 together fairly quickly. The only thing I don't like about that route is the fact that 90% of street rods you see around are powered by 350's and 383's. I want something a little more unique. I still kinda like the 454 Vortec idea but I think it might be a little hard to find a decent block that hasnt been ran hard its entire life. The 572 would be cool, but I don't see myself having the finances for that one. So that brings it down to the following:

1. Build a 350 or 383. Whether I buy a new block and build it, or rebuild an older one.

2. 454 Vortec

3. Other ideas. I've had several other ideas but didn't think about them very much. Other Vortecs, a 427, LS1 or LT1, Maybe even a Cummins or Duramax? Although, the diesels may be something for another project.

So again, if this was your car and your time, what would you do?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
There are plenty of rebuildable 454's around for a couple hundred dollars. Decent heads, cam change and raise the compression and it's a different engine

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Here's something different.:nanawrench::nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
There is a real reason EVERYBODY builds a 350 or 383...it's the least expensive way to decent performance and retain reasonable economy. Want a challenge? build your 383 add a six speed and fuel injection. Fairly unique, bad a$$ and something you may be able to duplicate for a customer later on...Dan

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not a big fan of fuel injection honestly. Like the carbs better. I'm thinking I might go the LS1 route, if I could work out a way to make it carburated. At any rate, I should probably wait until summer to really make a decision anyway because I still have my whole senior year of high school to deal with. Plus I need to focus on keeping the 305 running. The alternator's bearings just went out on me today on my way home and ruined the belt so I have that to deal with after work today. Looks like I'll be driving the Silverado for now.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Why not put a turbo buick v6 in your Elky? That's really different. I know, I know....not even a v8, but these things are fast and get good gas mileage to boot. Believe it or not, when they first came out, they were blowing the doors off everything but the really big big blocks. I raced a little in High School, and it sucked racing somebody with a turbo. You know your going to loose when you hear those things wrapping up, then the person flies by you. :(

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Ok, so you wanna build it yourself and be different....

I'd say go with a 401/425 nailhead buick motor. MOUNTAINS of torque, and one of (if not THE) prettiest engines ever made, when dressed up. (the 64/65 models will bolt right up to a dual pattern 2004R also)

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0811sr_vintage_buick_engines/viewall.html

here's an excerpt from the link:
Hot Rodding and Nailheads
Torque is what propels a car across an intersection from a dead stop, without "gow" gearing or high rpm. The Nailhead Buicks could do it without a murmur of protest, plus run 100 on the open highway all day long without your right foot being all the way down. Torque is good, and low-end torque is even mo' betta. This is the arena where Nailheads shine. The 401 achieved 410 lb-ft, even with a two-barrel carb, and 445 lb-ft with a Carter AFB four-barrel. The beauty of that last number is in the rpm at which that max-torque is achieved, 2,800! Most modern "performance" engines that can produce that much torque do so at higher rpm. Take your typical 383-stroker small-block Chevy. It makes very good torque, say around 420 lb-ft, but at over 4,000 rpm. Unless you wind the wee out of it, a 65-year-old geezer in a 45-year-old 401 Buick could embarrass you from stoplight to stoplight. Hopefully, there are no witnesses.

:nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Get a small block:poke:

With a small blo you dont got to beef up the suspension like you would a 454. You can get a 327, 350, 355, 383, 383 strocker, 400, or 406 strocker.

You will get a high torque motor for sbc, but you can still make up to 300-400 horses +.

My Grandpa has a 327 CID and he built it up an is making about 315hp.

Its got a 600cfm carb and headers. Thats all thats on the outside. You can get good power with out goin big block, plus its cheaper.

Some 454's get as low as 220hp from the late 70's-1998. Then the hp in a stock 454 increased to 290 hp in 1998 and 1999.

Older models get good hp but unless you get one of them or a crate from summit or somthing dont bother with bbc, go small block.
:beer:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you probably don't have a ton of money to spend, big dreams, small wallet, just like all of us. I know when I was in high school and freshman year of college, I was broke as a joke. My Elky didnt even have a motor in it because I blew it up in high school.

I think you should rebuild your current motor. Take it all apart, check all the clearances and put it back together with some higher compression pistons and a cam. You'll probably learn a lot and be happy with the results.

You have the rest of your life to build a fire breathing monster of an engine.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Not a big fan of fuel injection honestly. Like the carbs better. I'm thinking I might go the LS1 route, if I could work out a way to make it carburated. At any rate, I should probably wait until summer to really make a decision anyway because I still have my whole senior year of high school to deal with. Plus I need to focus on keeping the 305 running. The alternator's bearings just went out on me today on my way home and ruined the belt so I have that to deal with after work today. Looks like I'll be driving the Silverado for now.
Not a big fan of fuel injection huh...well then my advise is get out of mechanics....and thats not being mean or disrespectful...well not intentionally anyway...but facts are facts. Carbs are old school and don't have many useful years left. Computers can make thousands (even millions) of checks and adjustment to the engine fuel and timing systems every minute. Sure carbs are simple and there is a bunch of experience out there right now but it's dying....Fuel injection and computer tuning is where the future is, I'm 65 and been doing this a looooong time but guess what...I do not own a vehicle with a carb on it and haven't for over 6 years now. Who was it that said either lead or get out of the way?......Dan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts