El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a nice set of mid-length flowtech headers and they don’t fit properly- had to hammer one pipe to get it around passenger side upper control arm and the drivers side is very very close to the frame. Has anyone installed headers that actually fit? My preference would be shorty or mid length- long tubes are less desirable for my final setup and driving goals.

Thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm using Hedman long tube. I still had to heat and hammer modify the passenger side, using a high torque mini starter with a heat shield and then remove the steering rod to install the driver side. I've always had the better fitments with Hedman, even with an S-10 V8 conversion. I also use and highly recommend Stage 8 locking header bolts. I have a pair of Sanderson short tube headers in the box, if you're interested, I'll check the numbers to make sure they'll fit your '87.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using Hedman long tube. I still had to heat and hammer modify the passenger side, using a high torque mini starter with a heat shield and then remove the steering rod to install the driver side. I've always had the better fitments with Hedman, even with an S-10 V8 conversion. I also use and highly recommend Stage 8 locking header bolts. I have a pair of Sanderson short tube headers in the box, if you're interested, I'll check the numbers to make sure they'll fit your '87.
Yes!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will also need a double hump tranny crossmember for duals on a 87 .
Nope- 2 1/2” off headers that Y into a 3” single, transverse magnaflow, dual out behind rear tires. 305 will never flow enough to benefit from true dual unless I ran 2” or narrower dual pipes. I did the math- my design netted 6 HP and 5 ft/lbs T on dyno. Even the performance shop was impressed.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I just purchased a nice set of mid-length flowtech headers and they don’t fit properly- had to hammer one pipe to get it around passenger side upper control arm and the drivers side is very very close to the frame. Has anyone installed headers that actually fit? My preference would be shorty or mid length- long tubes are less desirable for my final setup and driving goals.

Thanks!
I used a set of Patriot mid-length headers, only had to put a couple bends in brake lines on drivers side. Nothing to it really, mine was also a 305 / auto but was not an SS.

Reactions: Willman67
1 - 6 of 6 Posts