El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning, getting used to all the info on this forum and stumbled across this room which got me thinking. I have a 1972 El Camino with a 350, mild cam, Edelbrock 1406 and an HEI. I am cleaning things up in the engine bay right now and am using these wires that have been on the car for a bit now:

JEGS 40200: 8.0mm Red Hot Pow'r Wires Small/Big Block Chevy Over Valve Covers or Under Headers & AMC 290-401 V8 W/HEI | JEGS

It is a stock run of the mill HEI, but which plugs do you all recommend for this set up or does it matter if I run the stock plugs for this car gapped at .045? I am also looking at these wires to drop the resistance down, worthwhile or not? And by the way, this is obviously not a drag car and I do enjoy popping in a cassette tape and listening to the radio.

Thanks in advance for any info, Dan.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Over the years I just get the recommended plugs. I usually get the Delco brand, tried others with about the same results. I'm sure somebody could have or has done dyno comparisons from brand to brand but I seriously have never never felt a seat of the pants difference other than changing out some dying/misfiring plugs for new ones. Plug wires are a different story altogether. I put Delco wires on my 93 S10 Blazer when I dropped a rebuilt 4.3 in and went through 2 sets in 30k miles. Gave up and used the Auto Zone brand from down the street and those wires were still in it when I gave it to my nephew with 150k on that motor. He drove that car for about 4 years before we finally pulled the plug on it's life support system........Still had the AZ wires and Delco plugs!

Joe

·
Registered
12,454 Posts
my artozone wires were just the opposite, they lasted about 6months..
its so humid around here,
my stockish TBI 350 with the old 6AL MSD would not even run the morning..
it may have been a bad batch,, they were on-sale.. IDK

those Taylor's look impressive, 40-50 ohm/ft..
but I guess they all do now days compared to 10yrs ago..

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Six years ago, we made a number of changes to the engine. This included work on intake manifold, boost gauge lines, distributor, plugs etc. Shear Performance was going to change to new plug wires. They found out I had Taylor 8MM and checked them and rerouted them under the new wire shields. Justin used them on his Chevelle too. They have worked fine for 6 more years for me. Mine are the 500 ohm. My truck does not have an antenna, therefor no radio reception. I don't hear static when playing CD. Then again, my bad ears plus large headers, 3 inch pipes, drone master leading to dear paws, I am not expecting much clarity of sound.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those Taylor's look impressive, 40-50 ohm/ft..
but I guess they all do now days compared to 10yrs ago..
This is one reason why I am asking about the wires, mine are currently good (tested with multi-meter) but are still in the advertised 350-360 ohm/ft range.I also am running NGK YR5 -Power plugs for right now, but am looking for advice on a a new set up. I'm looking for quality parts that have been tested by real world users so I am not messing with the car all the time.

My stereo is a cheap Radio Shack cassette player my dad had in the car when it was his, I do not plan on quality music but do enjoy the glove box full of cassette's that he left me, just nostalgia.

Thanks for all the responses to this and my other questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts