El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70, with a 350 and a TH350.
I just bought a 383 stroker with somewhere between 450-500hp and I need to figure out what type of transmission to get.
I'm going to do a manual conversion and I want something with overdrive.
What would you suggest?
Does the 700r4 only come in automatic? I've been looking online and can't find a manual version.

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
700r4 is the designation for an overdrive automatic. Each type of tranny will have its own designation.
You will want to look at the Tremec line. TKO500 and TKO 600. Both are 5 speed with 5th being an overdrive. The difference is the torque they will hold. If you are only going to run street tires the 500 will probably do fine. Cheaters or full slicks you will want the 600.
The other option is a 6 speed T56

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
700r4 is the designation for an overdrive automatic. Each type of tranny will have its own designation.
You will want to look at the Tremec line. TKO500 and TKO 600. Both are 5 speed with 5th being an overdrive. The difference is the torque they will hold. If you are only going to run street tires the 500 will probably do fine. Cheaters or full slicks you will want the 600.
The other option is a 6 speed T56
Do you know if I would need to do any modifications with a TKO?
Would it fit in the same as the TH350?

Are there any other options, like a 4 speed perhaps?

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
As well as the drive shaft yoke and getting the shaft length re-sized. Yes on cutting the tunnel to get the correct drive line angle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. So after getting educated about what's involved in the manual conversion and the mod's required to put a TKO in, I started doing some research on 700r4's vs 200r4's. Some of the problems are I only have so much budget and I would want to get a hydraulic clutch by the time I get everything I need I'm creeping up on 4 grand and I'd need to cut out the tunnel and weld a new one in, plus modifying the cross member and the drive shaft... the price just keeps going up for that and I work in a storage unit so while I'm allowed to work on the car, I'm not allowed to weld in there.

So I found that monster transmissions makes an SS 200r4, all optioned out with torque converter and paint, heavy duty input shaft and drum it comes out to $2800 with shipping and I can do a direct swap with no mods except possibly moving the cross member, but with drilling rather than welding.

I've done a lot of reading about this, and seems like a well built 200r4 is a little nicer than a 700r4... any further thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TKO's are huge and will require major surgery to the trans hump/tunnel. I will soon be installing the McLeod 5-speed in a '67 El Camino and expect little interference headaches... http://www.jegs.com/p/McLeod/McLeod...mission/3151132/10002/-1?itemPerPage=90&pno=1
hmm... I just noticed this post. That is an interesting option, how long until you are going to put this in? I'd be interested in hearing how it goes. What about the length? Are you going from a TH350 or 400? Expecting to modify the drive shaft as well? Is it a mechanical or hydraulic clutch?

Does any body else have experience with these?

·
Registered
491 Posts
hmm... I just noticed this post. That is an interesting option, how long until you are going to put this in? I'd be interested in hearing how it goes. What about the length? Are you going from a TH350 or 400? Expecting to modify the drive shaft as well? Is it a mechanical or hydraulic clutch?

Does any body else have experience with these?
I will be painting the truck before doing anything underneath...expect it will be around December. Truck has a Muncie in it now...will be using a stock bellhousing along with a mechanical clutch set-up. Here are some of the dimensions...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts