El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my ‘68 is all sorted out and driving great I’m feeling the urge to tear back into it. If y’all remember, last year I was wringing my hands over what trans I should put between my VortecPro 467 and Strange 9”. I finally settled on a locally-built TH400. The car runs great. But now I’m contemplating switching over to a manual. I’ve looked at a few videos of folks putting TKO 600’s and Magnum 6-speeds in A-Body cars. It seems certain that the Magnum requires extensive tunnel surgery. That isn’t a deal breaker.

What confuses me is that I see a lot of conflicting information regarding the fitting of a TKO 600. Some say you need to open up the tunnel and weld in a new top or you’ll have an awful tail shaft angle. Others say it will fit right in and may need only a few dimples and obviously a hole for the shifter. And still others say they relieve the Tremec case for a perfect no-cut fit. Ugh....

I’d have a hard time justifying the 6-speed over the TKO If the TKO would be a much easier install. But if I’d have to cut the tunnel wide open for both, well, it seems like going for the 6-speed may not be so bad.

What is the experience of the masses here? Who’s done it and how did everything fit up??

Thanks for any input,

Tom.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too late: I got antsy and started making phone calls. I've got a T-56 Magnum kit coming from Modern Driveline. 6-speed should be fun!!!

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1.00, 0.80, 0.63. When I put my new rear in I had it set up with 3.00 gears for my TH 400. Right now the 70-MPH cruise is only slightly higher RPM than I’d like. I expect that I’ll probably swap to a 3.50 or 3.73 rear after I drive it with the new transmission.

Today I took the first step: brake pedal is out and I’ll be hanging a brake/clutch pedal set out of my friend’s ‘68 Chevelle in a bit. His car is now running a TH400 and his clutch pedal has been swinging free. Win-win for both of us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts