El Camino Central Forum banner

Who knows the curb weight for each year?

31K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  FlatBlack65 
#1 ·
Looking for reputable sources (and references if possible) on the manufacturers published curb weights for each year and model of El Camino. Or, even better, anyone that has sat their ride on a scale, and with what type of motor-trans combo for each:

#3 ·
I searched all over for the curb weight on my 4th gen 454 in order to get it titled in Switzerland. That's how I found out there doesn't seem to be an authoritative answer, but multiple plausible ones.

#6 ·
I had my 64 on the county's scale recently. Car has aluminum wheels, heads,radiator, no a/c, manua steering and I carry no spare right now. Scale read 2931 lbs! Pretty light. No wonder the tires like to squeal

#17 ·
Hey Lockjaw, I'm liking the sound of sub-3000Lbs for a second gen with manual everything, no spare. How full was your gas tank at the time? I'm looking to go to a local drag strip here soon, and i have a similar setup with my '65 as with your '64. I plan on removing the hood and tailgate as well and also looking to find a bucket seat that i can install and remove my bench while going to the track. Do 10 things worth 30-40Lbs each, and you shave 300-400lbs, right? Oh, i weighed the components i have on hand out of curiosity. Here's a fun comparison: stock-cast iron vs aftermarket aluminum etc., and various parts i have in duplicate i was able to weigh holding them in my arms while standing on a digital scale, and the breakdown is thus: Stock cast iron exhaust manifolds(combined)=27Lbs flowtech long tube headers(combined)=10Lbs(-17Lbs) spare tire=39lbs remove that!(-39Lbs) Hood=66Lbs remove that!(-66Lbs) Stock cast iron intake manifold=41.4Lbs Edelbrock aluminum intake manifold=17Lbs (-24.4Lbs) Cast iron heads(assmbled)=46Lbs each.=92Lbs Edelbrock aluminum heads(assembled)=31Lbs(each)=62Lbs (-30Lbs) Tailgate=(guessing) at around 40Lbs (-40Lbs) Just off the stuff i've weighed, you can shave around 216Lbs for your track day or any day. And thats not talking about removing the bench seat, and running with just a few gallons of gas as apposed to a full tank (a gallon of gas weighs around 6Lbs 6X20=120Lbs. Think of taking the weight plates from your Gym, say the 35Lb plates, and stacking 10 of those in the bed of your Elco up against the rear cab. 350Lbs will DEFINATELY be noticed in your performance. Go on a diet people!! Get faster and more nimble!! Defend yourselves against tiny little imports with half-motors and oversized exhaust tips!! :nanawrench:

#18 ·
I would run with and without the tailgate.
The extra weight may be an advantage,but the myth that leaving the tail gate down to save fuel,is incorrect.
The wind turbulence without the gate is usually a disadvantage.
not sure if the weight savings is worth it.
Drag racing is consistency.
I usually use 3500 pounds for A bodies,4500 pounds for b bodies as a good weight estimate.
Obviously there could be maybe 500 pounds difference depending on motor size and A/C.

#26 ·
Yeah, i'm thinking of the weight loss from removing the tailgate, not the wind resistance (ever see the mythbusters episode where they showed that the tailgate UP actually HELPS fuel economy by turning your bed into an air pocket?, like the dimple on a golf ball....Right you are i think. With my '65, i only have a 283, so i'm not exactly lacking in traction using the 235 BFG's

#19 ·
Also runnung with an almost empty tank might translate into traction problems.

#21 ·
In California Elky's are considered commercial vehicles and must be weighed to register from out of state. Mine weighed in at 3,460 lbs.

305 v8 w/ac
th250c tranny
15" rallys with 235/60/15 tires
It was heavier than I thought it would be!
RTT

#22 ·
RTT, right you are, my Elco is registered as a "commercial" vehicle, strange as it seems, just because it is a "truck". I think california uses that to suck money out of people, since they can charge people higher registration fees for their big giant 8000-plus Lb pickups. Maybe thats to my advantage though, since i'm soo light, even by manufacturer's listings. Although, just looking at my title, they have me at 3500Lbs, and the fee is $94 a year. I wonder if they will let me request an adjustment and go to a DOT scale and get a certified weight receipt? Has anyone heard of doing that? I had a 1979 Ford F-250 4x4 highboy, long bed, dual tank with a 351 cleveland(considered a big-block), 35x12.5 tires, big steel box'd bumpers and push bar, bedbox, and the guy i bought it from said to never go into a scale, because they would hit me with a weight penalty and raise my registration fee. Is that true? I'm willing to bet the powers that be would do something like RAISE the fee for extra weight, but probably not LOWER the fee for less weight than the "manufacturer's listing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.