El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about doing a mini spool. I had one before and I know about tire wear and chirp
Anyone else run one?
Donny

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
might as well buy this spare rear end i got youll need it :poke:
it will work however how long????:dontknow:

·
Registered
532 Posts
mini spools are great for the track, but on the street, i like to be comfortable, (and corner) it just don't seem to be an even trade off.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nothing wrong with running one on the street. You had one before, put another one in there in you want. You understand how you need to drive it, slow wide turns to be easy on the axles and be careful when the ground is wet.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Fine if all you want to do is go straight, sorry been there.not worth the extra strain on stock axles and tires ... just my 2 cents :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Think about a Richmond PowerTrax. I put one in an 8.5'' that sports a 3.73 gear set and I love it. Yeh you've got to let it warm up, yeh it clicks when you take tight turns, but its locked 95* of the time and thats what you want. Is it muscle or is it a Caddy!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i would be very leary about a mini spool on the street especially with the stock 26 spline axles. buy a good posi ,one with clutches so you can service it when needed.as bad as mine clunks and pops when it needs aditive i can only imagine the damage that haveing no give at all can inflict on your diff

·
Registered
252 Posts
Obviously this post is concerning the rear dif! But I'm 50 years old and have never heard this term "mini spool". Honestly! Would some expound upon this for me, please?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are gears called spider gears in a non-posi rear end. The mini spool replaces those and locks the two azles together. You can also weld the gears together but thats even more dangerious.
I've had a mini spool before and it's hard on the azles in tight turns, their mainly made for going straight but you can drive them on the street (if )your careful. I was trying to see how many people do.
Mini spool= poor mans posi!!!
Donny

·
Registered
252 Posts
There are gears called spider gears in a non-posi rear end. The mini spool replaces those and locks the two azles together. You can also weld the gears together but thats even more dangerious.
I've had a mini spool before and it's hard on the azles in tight turns, their mainly made for going straight but you can drive them on the street (if )your careful. I was trying to see how many people do.
Mini spool= poor mans posi!!!
Donny
Perfect tell DDD! I understand the whole thread now! Tyvm!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mini spool

Mini spool on the street is not a good idea, a lot people do it but it's not safe, even on some of my customer drag cars I deter them from running a mini spool or any kind of spool unless they install aftermarket axles. All it takes is to break a stock axle and you will drive in the direction of the broken axle with the spool. It is always better on the street with a posi,limited slick or locker. Alfred Whiteside ( fast side). Www.whitesideracecars.com

·
Registered
555 Posts
Mini spool on the street is not a good idea, a lot people do it but it's not safe, even on some of my customer drag cars I deter them from running a mini spool or any kind of spool unless they install aftermarket axles. All it takes is to break a stock axle and you will drive in the direction of the broken axle with the spool. It is always better on the street with a posi,limited slick or locker. Alfred Whiteside ( fast side). Www.whitesideracecars.com
Some customers are smarter than others....:mrgreen:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My gf's brother has a spool in his 65 Elky, SBC, TH400, 4.10's. He drives it everyday with stock axles. He did break an axle a few months ago, but he was doing something stupid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts