El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Venerated Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...got the Derale fans issue nailed, but now my battery drains overnight...(new Optima)...turn the key after recharging and nothing...no click at solenoid, but juice thru lights, fans etc. Where do I start to try and find this short...Isolate any new wiring from original obviously, but using my multi meter, give me the steps to troubleshoot please...remembering me and electricity are NOT the best of friends...

Thanks in advance:beer:

Chris

·
Venerated Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda doubt that...since it was running yesterday...turns over with remote start switch...but thanks for the idea. Right now I have all new acces. disconnected tho...still no crankin'...:( Gonna move to one of the many OTHER items I can button up, but will be back to take more advice/scolding/humiliation:smileyb:

Can hardly wait for lunch...:beer:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Check the ignition switch (mounted on the lower part of the steering column) . I think it's a purple wire from the firewall out but not sure the color at the switch. Another possibility is the neutral safety switch.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
You might have burned out the fuseable link in the wire from the starter. The one that goes to the ignition switch.

Jack

·
Venerated Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well kids...turns out it was the ignition switch...new one on order and a makeshift momentary push button in place (in order to get Da Queen over to Tranny Mike tomorrow morning). Funny how these things can go out when yu least expect them...but then I am only 15 years older than the car and I've been having things go out when I least expect them to for at least the last 5 years :dontknow:

In the meantime...lot's of projects to keep me busy...thank you all for your input !:beer:

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts