El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a frame off. It's been blasted and coated. Urethene body bushings and all other bushings new rubber. BMR 1" drop springs on front with new KYB Gas Adjust. Front sits perfect. In the rear I used stock springs while waiting on my rear drop springs. They had been sagging before the build. New KYB shocks on the rear and the lower arms were boxed. Now the Elky sits 4" higher in the rear than it did before. It was super tough to get the upper control arms to fit and get the pinion leveled.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Did you tighten the rear control arm bolts without the suspension loaded? Unless you changed springs, the bushings are likely bound up and not allowing the suspension to settle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No when I put the rear end back under I only slipped the bolts back through the holes. I noticed instantly that the stock springs went in way to easily and the pinion was pointing at the floor. It was so high that the shocks at full extension would not get to the upper mount hole. I had some friends sit on it to help lower it enough to get the shocks mounted/secured and that helped bring the pinion up some but it is WAY high still.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No when I put the rear end back under I only slipped the bolts back through the holes. I noticed instantly that the stock springs went in way to easily and the pinion was pointing at the floor. It was so high that the shocks at full extension would not get to the upper mount hole. I had some friends sit on it to help lower it enough to get the shocks mounted/secured and that helped bring the pinion up some but it is WAY high still.
Plus I just towed the car 950 miles to our new home and it did not settle at all during the trip.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I’m still not clear. Are your rear springs the same ones you removed or are they replacements? When I was redoing my ‘68 I bought a new set of Moog rear progressive springs and had that same issue. It was all I could do to get the rear shocks bolted in. I ended up going with a lower rate spring and that fixed the issue. But if you’re just putting the same springs back in, I’m stumped.

·
Registered
939 Posts
If you are using the springs that came out of the car and other parts as mentioned above, I would start all over reinstalling the springs. With the shocks disconnected the springs should almost fall out on their own. Something isn't right.
The urethane body bushings aren't doing you any favors. Probably adding to your body height. You'll learn to hate them as you'll feel every pebble on the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are using the springs that came out of the car and other parts as mentioned above, I would start all over reinstalling the springs. With the shocks disconnected the springs should almost fall out on their own. Something isn't right.
The urethane body bushings aren't doing you any favors. Probably adding to your body height. You'll learn to hate them as you'll feel every pebble on the road.
OK first off urethene body bushings will not transfer road issues of any significance to your steering wheel or person, and they are actually 1/16" shorter than factory rubber.. Urethene control arm bushings on the other hand will and they will squeek in cold weather.. I have used urethene on two previous builds and that is why I went back to rubber bushings this time. Even before I installed the springs with the control arm bolts loose the frame sat way high. The springs are the original and so is the rear end. Rear control arms went in pretty easy bolts slide in with my fingers so I don't think the bushings could be binding but tomorrow I will take a look. I have the body back off so access is good. With the body on, the top of the rear fender well is 5" above the tire. When I tore it all down the springs had a sag and the tire was up 1" into the fender well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting! The control arms control the pinon angle and swing arc of the axle. Powder coating and heating to set should not have effected the metal mounts. Seemingly something has changed in the control arm area. Can you post some pics showing current geometry? What I would do also is safely disconnect one set of upper (or lower control arm mounts attached to the rear axle and align axle in proper position. Then see where the other set of control arms are orienting. This should give you a better idea of control arm problem area. Can't wait to discover the outcome of this issue.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Poly control arm bushings are bad juju.. I learned that one 10 years ago on a Pontiac four link.. I replaced the polys with spherical Currie Johnny joints and it was a totally different car and for the better.. Rubber control arm bushings are also better but you need to leave the stock control arms alone and not box them. The control arm was designed to flex along with the rubber bushing on that set up.. Boxing those arms never worked and only makes the four link bind up...
There's a lot of bad info on this internet and boxing stock control arms belongs at the top of the list with poly control arm bushings.. Herb Adams knew this in the 80s!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally broke down and swapped the rear control arms to adjustable upper and a set of lowers. Car sits better now, about where it was to begin with. A little confused about why the original arms would not let it down, just new rubber bushings and a professional box job on the bottoms for my sway bar. Thanks for all the input.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Well I finally broke down and swapped the rear control arms to adjustable upper and a set of lowers. Car sits better now, about where it was to begin with. A little confused about why the original arms would not let it down, just new rubber bushings and a professional box job on the bottoms for my sway bar. Thanks for all the input.
Weird, for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts