El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Well did a few road tests, and my carb does not alloelw me to go over 3300 rpms????? It is currently in limp mode due to no emissions and a ccc carb and distributer.

Why does it do this? Only thing i can think of is mine is a major torque motor?? Got atleast 300 lbs torque.

No matter how hard i push the pedal, it bottoms at 3300. My current carb is really crappy, motor is not wound up all the way, and my lnkages are tight ( no slack) what else could it be?

Am gettin a new distributer, and mnt man carb is planned.

Is this due to no emmisions?
Due to being a torque motor?
Crappy laggy carb?

Thanks guys

Brandon

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
sounds like a clogged fuel filter or clogged cat they will rev to 5000 with the ecm unplugged.i would look atyour timing in default it resorts to base timing which should be zero.so advance it quite a bit and should be better. but check your filter and other stuff too. i stuck the stock 305 from my first elco an 84 in my wifes 78 nova with the ccc carb and dist with no computer system just to get it running and it ran fine just used a lot of fuel. had no problem going to 5000 between shifts

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,781 Posts
Check your throttle linkage & make sure it will operate the carb to open all the way !!

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Brandon
The distributor will be there Wednesday by the end of the day. Did you get the new carb? I thought you had it already?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ecm is disconnected from emmisions

Ccc--- i got no cats, fuel filter is good, just used.

Bobby78--- Thanks, and no, should be finallizing stuff with mnt man mid next. Week. Just emailed Ardell about 5 minutes ago and i feel that they are the best way to go.

Steve--- linkages all work right except the back barrells dont open right?? That is when the car is off and i push the throttle.

Brandon

·
2,566 Posts
So why are you worried about it? Change the dizzy Thursday and the carb next week and you should be good. Besides if you somehow get it running better you might not get that carb ;)

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really? I thought you cant have a CCC carb and an HEI distributer?

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Disconnect your throttle cable and see if there's any slack I just did mine and there's a spring on the gas pedal that keeps tension on the cable. After fixing that and new springs on the carb. believe it or not the response of the motor is a lot better don't know about rpm's. Just another of those things you don't think about but when it's not working correct you can spend a lot of money chasing the wrong fix that's how I found out.
:beer:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HKDUP, i got great throttle response

my carb is pretty tempermantal as it is! Should i list the problems!

-Stupid electric choke occassionally sticks at high idle
- the choke doesnt ever kick off, so it is never kicks down(just found that out)
- it is Very laggy
-i can accelerate up to speeds of 25 mph without hiting gas at all.
-occassionally backfires (timing is good, just a lot of carbon build up)
- i will accelerate and some times i dont peel when i normally would, due to it not being warmed up
- run different hiway rpms almost every time, can go [email protected] but aftwr about 10 minutes i run [email protected]
-4barrels havent ever opened up from what ive seen, reved up to 3500 in park and 4 barrels didnt kick in, oh i can rev higher in park than in drive.

This is all the carb, engine and everything appears healthy...knock on wood.

I think im better off buyin a new non-computer controlled carb!

·
2,566 Posts
So vacuum secondaries don't open? Vacuum leak? Reving in drive? Is the car moving or are we talking brake revs? If it's brake revs that's probably normal depending on the stall speed of your convertor.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I know you said you stripped the emissions out, but did you pull the catalytic converter as well? If it clogs up, you will get those symptoms exactly.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
sounds like you've found your problem
..I agree,with the choke mess up is keeping the back barrels from opening up due to the lock-out from the choke...(68 & 67)

..and if that don't work,get one of these with mech. sec.

..or with vacumme sec.

..easy bolt on and you don't have ta chop your fuel line ...:beer:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts