El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Started the elky up and it sounded like when you try to start a lawn mower an it doesnt turn over it ha that whine? Is it my starter? It only happend once. Maybe i had the key to long? I was in a hurry. Bad weather commin....

Thanks

Brandon

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
You turned the key to start and heard a long whine? Did it start or did yiou have to turn the key again and then it started? If this is what happened it means your starter drive is sticking and one day will stay stuck. And so will you. (no pun intended:poke:)

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It started and it was only like a second long. I shut it off and turned it on to see if it did it again but it didnt

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Yup ! The drive in my pickup has been doing that for a few weeks, and I've been nursing it 'til I get motivated to change the drive. :secret:
If it eventually gets worse, an exchange starter from an auto parts store isn't much more than buying a new drive. Changing the drive is somewhat of a pain in the butt, and if you haven't dis-assembled a starter before, an exchange starter is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
X3 on the Starter Drive,sounds like it didn't retract,check your ring gear( Flex plate) for bad teeth :texas:
Ya gonna give it dentures iffin' it has bad teeth??? :poke: I gotta agree with the drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts