El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Noticed somthing today. It was cold so i rode with the windows up and the radio off and when shifting into second about 2 seconds before it i hear a little rattle (almost as if a little piece of plastic is rattling? I shift smooth. Dad said it just sounds like it shifting but i heard the noise under the dash one time? It is so quiet Dad couldnt hear it in the passenger seat so we switched seats and he barely heard it with no noise other than the exhaust. It sounds just like my wobbly speedo with a piece of plastic rattling, but its quiet? It has always done it i just didnt pay attention and think about it until today

I got a TH350 if that matters

Dad said not to eorry about it but i just want to know what this sound is?

Thanks

Brandon

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it could be a dry speedo cable they will tend to rattle when its cold. disconnect the speedo cable at the trans and see if it stops. if it does you need toeither lobe the cable or replace it

·
Registered
852 Posts
is it under a load? or does it do it at higher rpms? you might be hearing slight piston chatter from advanced timing

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No more than 1200 rpms. Not much of a load. No piston chattering i can say. Its like a little fast pace rattle.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it will sound like a high speed chatter and usually go away when it gets good and warm or you go fast enough to stop it

·
Registered
852 Posts
check the heat shield on the pasenger side underneath the floorboard, if the exhaust is close to it, or the mounting screws backed off itll rattle. mine started to when i put headders in, the collector was against it. theres also a little crossmember on the tunnel, to the rear of the trans on the floor, it had two 13mm bolts on each side, make sure theyre tight as well. you might do good to check x-member bolts, trans mount, to both the trans and x member.

also, check your trans cooling lines, if theyre not secured, or have play, they will rattle against each other, the firewall, oil pan or block, and make a noise as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts