El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just bought a cd player to install in his 83 elky. I do not want to cut up the faceplate/radio bezel to install. Looking online I found some 86-88 that kinda look like the same bezel, but do not have the knob holes that the 83 has. I am just wondering if one of these will fit, or if we have to ruin the original fp.
What have you seen done to install a knobless radio?

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,581 Posts
I've done it both ways, swapping the bezel or cutting out the opening to fit the newer square face radios. The later radio bezel will interchange, but you'll have to fab a mounting plate for your particular radio that will accept the two lower screws that attach the bezel.

And since it's your first post, welcome to the forum!

Bill

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
The newer faceplate will work well for a 1.5 din radio. If you are installing an aftermarket radio, say a 1 din radio, then you will need the adapters that are sold to make them fit.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have an 83 dash in my 86 with the later face plate it goes right in .i have a pioneer in it right now .i used a aluminium plate to make my adapter and drilled the holes for the lower mounting legs to go through so it fits flush. painted satin black it blends in nicely

1 - 5 of 5 Posts