El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what this is?

It is mounted to the top of the Passengers inner fender on a 1987 El Camino. The bottom plug goes to the ECU harness, the top plug goes to the gauge harness. I THINK it was part of the CCCarb and distributor and hopefully it can be deleted if I am going with Aftermarket EFI and no longer needing the factory ECU? :dontknow:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd be interested to know what it's for myself, I deleted the computer stuff a while back and would like to know if I can rip that out too..:secret:

·
Deputy Director Region 18
474 Posts
It is the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor. It is part of your Emissions control system. Depending on what your state requires for smog testing you may or not need it. It also connects to your engine control module and measures manifold vacuum.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor. It is part of your Emissions control system. Depending on what your state requires for smog testing you may or not need it. It also connects to your engine control module and measures manifold vacuum.
In AZ, if you are registered and insured as a Classic.....you are smog check exempt. And the county I live in doesn't require smog anyway.......I'm lucky for the time being. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
187 Posts
Engine don't care

I was able to remove computer and complete emissions harness INTACT ,I did put an earlier H.E.I. w vac advance and Qjet This old girl runs awesome for a stock LG4 305. I just need to hook up a manual switch to converter If I want use it, By the way if anybody wants or needs the computer and harness I'll Give it away just pay for the shipping. Thanks, Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have seen a Mister Gasket Switch never heard of the other? sounds interesting.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ouch!!

Not an issue, Gas mileage not my greatest concern. will be swapping out for Buick 455 and th400 In near future.:lildevil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts