El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am considering buying an edelbrock 600 cfm performer carb #1406. an edelbrock performer intake #2101 (i think). and topping it off w/ an elite series air cleaner. my question is will all of this fit under my stock hood?
will i have to buy a lower rise air cleaner?

thanks in advance :) :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah and another thing. how many cfm's is my stock Q-jet?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think that combo would work perfectly fine, as long as you're not planning on running a spacer between the carb and manifold. The performer series intake isn't much taller than most stock intakes, if at all.

If you're running with an HEI distributor you may want to check the clearance of the air cleaner though. Measure from the center stud to the distributor cap for the max diameter. That Elite series is expensive.. I would recommend installing the carb and intake first and then make the decision on the air cleaner based on measurements.

Unless of course, someone else is already running with this on an 84. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
i don't think you will have any problems with that set-up. i am currently running an air gap with the edelbrock carb but am using a 3" open element filter. seem to recall the air gap manifold is about 3/4" taller than the performer. best bet is still to measure everything before and after to be sure. as for the cfm on your quadrajet, most 84's are aroung the 600 cfm range give or take a little. hope this helps.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. i will measure first like you said to be sure.

·
1,867 Posts
That sounds like a great combo. You should be pleased.

·
Banned
881 Posts
sexy84 said:
oh yeah and another thing. how many cfm's is my stock Q-jet?
I think the 84 Q-jet is "rated" at 750 CFM. Most Q-jets were rated at 750 CFM with the exception of a few 800 and 850 CFM applications for motor homes or big blocks. However, even though your Q-jet is rated at 750 CFM it's probably limited to about 600 CFM total airflow due to a tab that prevents the air valve from opening fully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts